You are here

Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Mounting an Akai (S1000) format

Postby baward » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 pm

I realise that the .iso file doesn't play ball as when I try and mount it with DiskImageMounter, I am told that there are "No mountable file systems" - so am I back to square one?
baward
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm

baward wrote:I finally got an opportunity to do what the ByteNoise web page outlines. It has allowed me to create a 537Mb .iso file of the disc content (yay!) but I can't seem to progress as I don't have the full Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 5 Player won't play ball.

I have Ableton Live Lite, but there seems to be a bug in that even though I have authorised my computer to use it, attempting to drag and drop the .iso file onto Ableton keeps on telling me that I need to authorise my computer, and so on round and round...

I am a Studio One user; is it possible to use my .iso file with that? Dragging and dropping onto the Browser doesn't work.

Last I saw it seemed you'd made some progress on this as per your last post in the older thread and Desmond was offering some assistance?

Is there something new I'm overlooking that's the problem?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:15 pm

baward wrote:I realise that the .iso file doesn't play ball as when I try and mount it with DiskImageMounter, I am told that there are "No mountable file systems" - so am I back to square one?

I feel like I have said all this multiple times in this thread already, perhaps I wasn't being clear enough, but I'll try one last time:-

You cannot "mount" an S1000 disk into Windows, or Mac OSX or whatever. The disk format is proprietary, and operating systems do not know how to read it, or what it is. I do not know why you are still trying to mount S1000 disks onto your operating system, this is not possible. The error message you see is that the OS is looking for a file system it understands, and is just finding a bunch of data it doesn't know what do to with - there are no file systems the OS can mount, hence the message.

Some software, including the ones already mentioned, like Kontakt, the EXS24, some of the translator programs etc can *read* the unmounted disk, (usually in the form of the disk image file), because they have special handling to decode the disk format that they have already reverse-engineered - ie they know the data layout, and what to do with it.

In order to translate the Akai-format data into something you can use on your computer, you must use some kind of translator software to read the disk image, and convert it to regular audio files and instrument data that you can then save as normal, and use on your computer.

Some time back I offered to give you some help if I could, by suggesting that if you image the disk to a disk image file (which you have done) and if you didn't have any software that could translate the disk image into usable sample stuff, you could upload the disk image somewhere private, and I'd take a look at doing it for you (in whatever format you wanted) as I *do* have tools for this.

I realise that you'd probably rather do it yourself, but you'll need translation software to do it. I don't know whether the Lite version of Live will do this (I'd be surprised), so unless you buy some other software that *can* do it, you're not going to be able to convert the Akai disk format into usable files.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby baward » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks, Desmond. I hear what you're saying; I did actually upload the fo=ile to somewhere you could obtain it from me, and sent you a private message to that effect, but heard nothing back. Hence my new post.
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:57 am

baward wrote:Thanks, Desmond. I hear what you're saying; I did actually upload the fo=ile to somewhere you could obtain it from me, and sent you a private message to that effect, but heard nothing back. Hence my new post.

Hmm, weird - I have not received a PM from you, I just checked again.

Can you check it (it should be in your Outbox) and see who you sent it to, and if so, delete it or resend it?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 pm

Please excuse me if I appear thick, but where can I find my outbox? (it just occurred to me that perhaps there is no outbox because I only think I've sent you a message?)

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:45 pm

It’s the menu option immediately below Inbox...

Try this:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/ucp. ... der=outbox
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks. I am convinced I wasn't getting all those options on my control panel before. I will send you a (new) private message.
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 pm

As I seem to be having problems using the messaging system (I have been using Safari for a few months but have switched back to Chrome and I seem to have more options), can I email you at Muzines.co.uk?

Regards,
Ben
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Sure.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks, link sent.
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 pm

...at least I tried to send it, but I am getting an error from my ISP: "The response from the remote server was: 550 High probability of spam"

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Just tell Desmond you'll buy him a pint, stop trying to give him a share of the money that Nigerian prince is going to send you. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 pm

baward wrote:...at least I tried to send it, but I am getting an error from my ISP: "The response from the remote server was: 550 High probability of spam"

Ben

It might be worth trying again with some friendly waffle in the message body. There is a common form of automated spam that consists of only a link in the body text - you may have seen them yourself. They often come from a spoofed address of someone in your contacts, or who has you in theirs, and consist of a message along the lines of:

"Hi <your name> - <a link>"

I suspect the mail server is judging your message on this basis, or something like it. If you spell out the link in words and/or pad out the message a bit then that might solve the problem.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby baward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks Eddy, I will have another bash. Although there was more that I didn't quote, viz

The response from the remote server was:
550 High probability of spam

Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; baward@gmail.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 05:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
X-Original-Message-ID: <B670229B-0C01-4988-A126-7C9F786EF241@gmail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; info@muzines.co.uk
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.cloudhosting.co.uk. (77.72.6.25, the server for the
domain muzines.co.uk.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 High probability of spam
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 05:17:06 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: mu:zines - attn Desmond
Date: 4 July 2019 at 13:16:58 BST
To: muzines <info@muzines.co.uk>

[then my message]

I will try from a different email address and see if that works.
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 pm

No, no improvement:

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* info@muzines.co.uk

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** info@muzines.co.uk ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout02 [212.159.14.17]
Received-From-MTA: dns; bs-imac.lan [80.229.147.217]
Arrival-Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 21:37:38 +0100

Final-recipient: rfc822; info@muzines.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 High probability of spam

Last-attempt-Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 21:37:40 +0100
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Sorry you had some issues with this.

I just dug into my mail server's spam system and saw your emails had been quarantined as spam, probably due to subject lines such as "Attn: desmond" and containing a link which look a bit spammy - I've whitelisted you, but no need to send it again as I've got the link now, downloading, I'll take a look at your file and see what I can do...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm grateful, thanks!
baward
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 pm

baward wrote:I finally got an opportunity to do what the ByteNoise web page outlines. It has allowed me to create a 537Mb .iso file of the disc content (yay!) but I can't seem to progress as I don't have the full Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 5 Player won't play ball.

Is this the file you sent me? The one you sent me has a "cdr" extension, not iso, and is 610MB... (I'm just checking)

Also, according the manual, only the 32 bit version of Kontakt has the necessary libraries for reading non-native formats, any 64-bit version can't do it (so it's old versions, in any case, which I don't have to hand) and I can't see anything in the Ableton Live manual at all about reading/converting Akai format disks...

So, back to Logic 7.x - I didn't have any success with your file. Either the disk is some other format than Akai S1000 format, or it wasn't imaged correctly.

Tech details - I ran El Cap in a VM, ran Logic 7.2 with the EXS24 in Akai import mode so it's waiting for an Akai format disk to show up to convert, as usual.

I then connected your disk image as a CD, and the OS correctly says "I can't read this, eject or ignore". You click ignore to leave it accessible to the system, and at this point the EXS24 should recognise the presence of the Akai disk, and show it's data ready for conversion. However, it just sits in "Waiting for Akai CD" and doesn't see anything to convert.

I'll try an old Windows system with Logic 5.x if I can dig out the files and see if that will recognise it...

Can you give me the details of this disk - name, company, anything you have that I can search for and see what details I can find? Maybe it's not an S1000 format?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Same results with Logic 6.3 on Snow Leopard... No valid S1000 disks are seen when this disk image is inserted...
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext