You are here

Time Machine issues?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Time Machine issues?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 am

I've got a lot of music projects currently on the go and thought I'd better turn on Time Machine in case my i Mac goes down. I turned on auto back up and it did the first back up a few days ago. I looked at the back ups in Time Machine, the interface used to have a universe with receding stars moving on it, it's not there anymore, I'm running Sierra, all I get is a series of stacked windows, and restore points on the right hand side, some of which are red, when I click on one of these points it doesn't give me the option the restore, just wondering what's going on here.
My Mac completely crashed about a year ago and had to be repaired by Apple, I'm wondering if something still isn't right, I bought it new in 2013.
I've backed up all of my music, and my Reaper Media folder to an external drive, just in case.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Time Machine issues?

Postby Dave B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 am

So the background is a blur these days and the stacked folders represent the changes and are 'linked' to the timeline on the right. The 'red' (highlighted) date on the timeline is the one that you are selecting (it's just highlighting the one to select). Once you've selected on, the 'Restore' option is only available when you select something to restore - be it a whole drive, a folder or an individual file. You navigate with the available Finder window to the file / folder / drive to restore, select it and then can hit 'Restore'.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby fruitcake » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 pm

One other thing I do if I just need a doc or file that changed is instead of opening time machine, I’ll open the backup drive itself. There will be a folder with your various backups. I can dig through until I find the file I want and drag a copy to my current drive.
fruitcake
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks, I'm wondering if all this is actually worthwhile, I've got a 4tb drive attached to my Mac that I could add all sorts of manual back ups to, besides, if my Mac goes really pear shaped, I'm probably not even going to be ale to acces the back up screens, which is what happened the last time it crashed, time machine may well have just not existed.
I just got things like my Reaper Media folder, Reason stuff, Ableton sounds, and just loaded them back in.
I must admit, I haven't been exactly over the moon going over to Mac, I am in some ways, but it hasn't been the heavenly utopia they promised me in the Apple Store....

:(
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Arpangel wrote:besides, if my Mac goes really pear shaped, I'm probably not even going to be ale to acces the back up screens, which is what happened the last time it crashed, time machine may well have just not existed.(

If your mac goes really pear shaped, you don't really want access to the individual screens, but a full restore.
I did this on Monday to a new disc fitted to my 2010 Mac Pro.
It took some time, but the operation was painless and easy and I had my old (stable) system back exactly as before.

I've used the "Screens" a couple of times to find emails I'd deleted a year ago. Worked fine and took very little time or effort.

YMMV.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:05 am

They never told me what went wrong with my Mac, but whatever it was, it wiped out everything. They had to do a full install from the internet, which resulted in a blank canvas.
My drives became gobbledygook, it wouldn't let me load from back-ups, or save anything.
I think it was a virus, but, as we all know, Mac's don't get viruses.

:beamup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 am

Arpangel wrote:They never told me what went wrong with my Mac
That's a shame, it would have been nice to know just to see if it was something that could be avoided in the future, or simply hardware failure.

Arpangel wrote:They had to do a full install from the internet, which resulted in a blank canvas.
I suppose they decided that was the best solution for your situation, but it's disappointing if they didn't at least try from your time machine disc if they had it. But, not knowing the details, that's only the speculation of an armchair "expert"!

Arpangel wrote:I must admit, I haven't been exactly over the moon going over to Mac, I am in some ways, but it hasn't been the heavenly utopia they promised me in the Apple Store....
Arpangel wrote: I bought it new in 2013.
Another victim of salesmen/women with their silver tongued patter! :D
But seriously, if after 6 years of ownership you're still not happy with Macs then for your own workflow and piece of mind, maybe you should consider an alternative?
That's a difficult thing for a fairly happy Mac user to say!!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 pm

It's no better on pc.
No worse either, just different.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 pm

There are some really good posts about backing up here on SOS for all computer users.

For my peace of mind I run 2 different external Time Machine backups plus in the machine I have a clone of my boot drive that I update every month and then I also have an external drive that is a copy of every internal drive in the machine. So that means 5 external drives on a shelf ready to pop in should one die. And they all will die eventually. I won’t get into the drives I have in another location.

I also run Disk Warrior a few times a year or during the rare time when the Mac does weird stuff. DW has saved my bacon more than once over the years.

Sounds extreme but I sleep well at night.

I still find TM weird. For me it doesn’t let me go back to specific dates but seems to choose which dates I can revisit and restore.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 am

ManFromGlass wrote:There are some really good posts about backing up here on SOS for all computer users.

For my peace of mind I run 2 different external Time Machine backups plus in the machine I have a clone of my boot drive that I update every month and then I also have an external drive that is a copy of every internal drive in the machine. So that means 5 external drives on a shelf ready to pop in should one die. And they all will die eventually. I won’t get into the drives I have in another location.

I also run Disk Warrior a few times a year or during the rare time when the Mac does weird stuff. DW has saved my bacon more than once over the years.

Sounds extreme but I sleep well at night.

I still find TM weird. For me it doesn’t let me go back to specific dates but seems to choose which dates I can revisit and restore.

Dear ManFromGlass,

It depends on what you have selected. If I select a particular file and go back in Time Machine, it rolls back to the version that's not identical to the present version. So if you haven't edited the file for three weeks, it will go back to the version from three weeks ago.

And Time Machine doesn't save every version, if on automatic it saves

[list=]
[*]Hourly backups for the last 24 hours
[*]Daily backups for the last month
[*]Weekly backups as far back as it can fit on the disk
[/list]

When the drive is full it starts to remove the oldest backup. And this is where Time Machine shows it is not enough. I've had Time Machine demanding to start from scratch on me, when the disk was full. It's also a local backup, which as such does not protect from theft or fire etc.

Humbly Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm OK with my Mac most of the time, I just thought it was behaving abnormally regarding Time Macine before you guys explained it to me. I think I'm going to stick to doing backups manually, and only certain folders, as long as I've got Reaper Media, and all of my sounds from my other music apps I'm OK.
I have a PC that I bought when the Mac went down, as I thought it had died completely. It's an exact copy of my Mac spec, it has a water cooled PSU, but it's still slightly noisy, my Mac is my favourite because it's absolutely silent, I can have it in the same room when we're recording and it's fine. The PC is in the basement standing by in case my Mac finally gives up the ghost. The PC is a copy of what's on my Mac, so it's a case of just plugging it an and I'm up and running again, but I would miss my Mac, that lovely screen, and it's quietness.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'm OK with my Mac most of the time, I just thought it was behaving abnormally regarding Time Macine before you guys explained it to me. I think I'm going to stick to doing backups manually, and only certain folders, as long as I've got Reaper Media, and all of my sounds from my other music apps I'm OK.
I have a PC that I bought when the Mac went down, as I thought it had died completely. It's an exact copy of my Mac spec, it has a water cooled PSU, but it's still slightly noisy, my Mac is my favourite because it's absolutely silent, I can have it in the same room when we're recording and it's fine. The PC is in the basement standing by in case my Mac finally gives up the ghost. The PC is a copy of what's on my Mac, so it's a case of just plugging it an and I'm up and running again, but I would miss my Mac, that lovely screen, and it's quietness.

If you do you manual backups that's OK. If you do them. :thumbup: For me the point of Time Machine, or whatever other system you're using, is that TM does do the backup. I don't always. :oops:

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 am

Ylan Sthlm wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I'm OK with my Mac most of the time, I just thought it was behaving abnormally regarding Time Macine before you guys explained it to me. I think I'm going to stick to doing backups manually, and only certain folders, as long as I've got Reaper Media, and all of my sounds from my other music apps I'm OK.

If you do you manual backups that's OK. If you do them. :thumbup: For me the point of Time Machine, or whatever other system you're using, is that TM does do the backup. I don't always. :oops:

Humbly, Ylan

Yes, that's a point, I prefer manual back-ups because I don't know how to load back in "selected files" only from Time Machine, I may just want to load in my Reaper folder, not everything else including a whole system restore.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 am

Arpangel wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:

Humbly, Ylan

Yes, that's a point, I prefer manual back-ups because I don't know how to load back in "selected files" only from Time Machine, I may just want to load in my Reaper folder, not everything else including a whole system restore.

Ok! Select a file or folder i Finder, and go into Time Machine, and you will just reinstate that file or folder. You can try to create a folder with some files in it, run a Time Machine back up, remove one of the files. Then you select the folder and go into Time Machine and go back and reinstate the folder (with the file you removed). This to get a feeling for how it works if you feel like it.

I once (when I was studying) worked in MS Word on a largish document that got corrupted, and wouldn't open. Thanks to Time Machine I only lost the last hours work.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 am

Ylan Sthlm wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:

Humbly, Ylan

Ok! Select a file or folder i Finder, and go into Time Machine, and you will just reinstate that file or folder. You can try to create a folder with some files in it, run a Time Machine back up, remove one of the files. Then you select the folder and go into Time Machine and go back and reinstate the folder (with the file you removed). This to get a feeling for how it works if you feel like it.

I once (when I was studying) worked in MS Word on a largish document that got corrupted, and wouldn't open. Thanks to Time Machine I only lost the last hours work.

Humbly, Ylan

Thank you very much Ylan, so, I open Finder, select my Reaper file, then open Time Macine, select a back up, then only my Reaper folder will be restored? if I understand it correctly.
OK OK, I've got my head around it, I now understand that the current window view in the front of the stack is the back up that will be loaded.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 am

Arpangel wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:

Humbly, Ylan

Humbly, Ylan

Thank you very much Ylan, so, I open Finder, select my Reaper file, then open Time Macine, select a back up, then only my Reaper folder will be restored? if I understand it correctly.

Yes, that's the way it works.

My point was that you can try with something that isn't as valuable first, if you feel unsure.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster