You are here

Worth upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB (Logic Pro X on iMac 27", 2017, SSD)

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Worth upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB (Logic Pro X on iMac 27", 2017, SSD)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 am

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I was looking at OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com) for a replacement SSD for my girlfriends MBP, and happened to see that 2 x 8 GB for my iMac was less than $100.

Got me to think, that it might be worth upgrading from present 2 x 8 GB to 4 x 8 GB.

But is it? Will it make a difference? It's definitely cheaper than I thought, but it is still money that could go towards something else.

Mine is definitely not a pro Studio, but an iMac with a Clarett 4pre audio interface and some mics. No ouboard gear, meaning I'm all in box, with Logic instruments and plugins, and some third party stuff.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Re: Worth upgrading from 16 GB to 32 GB (Logic Pro X on iMac 27", 2017, SSD)

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:16 am

If you are having to freeze tracks regularly to stop the spinning pizza wheel then yes, most definitely.
MOF
Regular

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:39 am

MOF wrote:If you are having to freeze tracks regularly to stop the spinning pizza wheel then yes, most definitely.

It's not a huge problem, and when it happens it's hard to know whether it's CPU or RAM related.

I have a fairly new Mac, but no monster and it's definitley possible to choke it.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 am

The RAM does all the heavy lifting between the CPU and the hard drive, so the more you have the less time the CPU has to wait for confirmation that the work it’s done has been stored and it can go on to the next task.
MOF
Regular

Postby johnny h » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Open Activity Monitor and see how much RAM you are using. Most plugins only use a very small amount of memory and are mainly dependent on CPU. Heavy sample banks, convolution based effects and a few other types do tend to use more RAM.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 pm

For me this would be a no-brainer. 16Gig should be fine under all normal circumstances but who knows what might be coming down the pipes by way of memory-intensive but desirable software? If it costs so little to double your RAM then I'd go for it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:For me this would be a no-brainer. 16Gig should be fine under all normal circumstances but who knows what might be coming down the pipes by way of memory-intensive but desirable software? If it costs so little to double your RAM then I'd go for it.

CC

I see your point, ConcertinaChap!

But I my point is that I can upgrade later on. If I were to buy a MBP or an iMac Pro, machines that can't be upgraded down the line, I'd go that way, but I do not need to upgrade for some future.

Now when I'm running Moby's Colours (The Demo song that came with Logic) Logic seem to use less than 3 GB.

Therefore I think that I might not need to upgrade now. Summer vacation is on it's way, and I can have a nice meal in town with the missus for that money.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 pm

[quote="Ylan Sthlm"]Therefore I think that I might not need to upgrade now. Summer vacation is on it's way, and I can have a nice meal in town with the missus for that money./quote]

Given that today's my wife' birthday and I've promised her a meal at the local Thai restaurant, I see your point.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:48 pm

And now I see something, worth thinking about in the new Logic Pro X 10.4.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TcVCq1RlwU

About freezing unloading all plugins and samples, and the same for tuning of tracks with ⌥ + click. This makes upgrading RAM even less worth doing.

When I need to I shall upgrade, but not now.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster