You are here

Splitting LPX windows over two 'spaces' saves CPU...why?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Splitting LPX windows over two 'spaces' saves CPU...why?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:07 pm

I have been working on a fairly large Logic project by my standards, thirty odd tracks, two or three virtual instruments, lots of plugins, and started to get the old "Unable to process" etc problems. Froze everything, turned off all my other apps but still, very unusually, kept collapsing on playback with the CPU meter maxed out. I tend to have the main window up with the inset mixer.

But I discovered by accident, that if I use different spaces, one for the main window and one for the mixer window, I could mix away quite happily with no problems even at 256 buffer rate. Which is great, but why is this?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Splitting LPX windows over two 'spaces' saves CPU...why?

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Froze everything, turned off all my other apps but still, very unusually, kept collapsing on playback with the CPU meter maxed out.

You "froze everything", but your CPU is still maxed out?
Then you can't have frozen everything...

At the very least, plugins on the master out, and auxes, will still be live. Also, depending on the freeze mode, you might have more running than you think - you can either freeze "source only" (eg, freeze the virtual instrument, but keep the rest of the plugins on that channel live), or freeze all the plugins on that channel.

What's the difference in your CPU meter in the varying different window setups? I can't see how this would have much affect on the CPU load, unless you've got graphics card problems perhaps, so make sure that the difference is reliably due to the different window setups, and not something else that's a coincidence...

You can also up the buffer if you're on the edge of what your computer can process - 512 or even 1024 for mixing.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I'm using an external monitor, by the way, in case this is relevant.

Just recreated the issue to make sure. When I have the mix window on one space and the main window on another, I'm using half to 3/4 on the CPU meter whichever one I'm looking at.

With just one space holding the main and the mixer together I'm hovering around 100%. If I start with the main tracks window and then add the mixer with the X command the CPU leaps up.

I remember reading a post somewhere before that graphics can affect cpu quite markedly?

Oddly, changing the buffer size, which obviously was my first stop, didn't seem to have a massive impact.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Maybe splitting over two spaces allows the core loading to be spread more evenly? (He says with absolutely no clue).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Found the old post I was referring to, from GS...

"I have recently discovered what's been plaguing my system for months. It's a 2013 macbook pro retina. Logic would be fine in some situations but suddenly be on it's knees with very little stuff happening. I discovered it was graphics related. If i used the mixer view in the main page processor would climb without falling back down (even with a single instrument) until overload spike and error message. But if i closed the mix view and opened a separate mix window this didn't happen any more. Problem was it would return if i tried to record (infuriating, especially with a singer and a studio crew around).
Then someone suggested I put the macbook to standard resolution (i always have "more space"). This has completely revolutionised my laptop. It's turbo charged, super stable, and runs full mixes with ableton rewired in, full of kontakts, sound toys, omnispheres, slates, mastering plugins etc etc all at a buffer of 32, with routing going all over the place (24 ins and outs, digital and analogue), rock solid and perfect, processor at 20, 30%
I'm blown away...i've been pulling my hair out for years with logic's sluggish response, it's felt like wading through treacle since v10. Now with 10.4 and a bit of a reduction in screen real estate my machine feels like it's landed from 2025...unbelievable!"
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Maybe the graphics processors on those machines struggle with retina resolutions...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Well mine's not a retina but here are two screen shots showing how when you kick the mixer window in, the cpu shoots up.

Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DavyP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Have you tried a memory upgrade? A bit of extra ram fixes a lot of problems. ?

Saying that there where some Mac models where it was impossible to upgrade the ram so my point may be of no use :?
DavyP
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:55 pm

I have max Ram for this model, 16gb
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:25 pm

If two spaces are two different windows, it may allow the OS to interleave resource usage better, as that’s what GUI based OSs are designed to do.
Running in the same main window leaves the concurrency handling to the application which often is less optimal.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page