You are here

Unusual behaviour of Logic Pro X with external midi instruments

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Unusual behaviour of Logic Pro X with external midi instruments

Postby Mud on the road » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi Mac Forum,
has any Logic Pro X user's using a Digidesign 003 Rack for external midi instruments had problems.
I am using OS X El Capitan (version 10.11.6) on a Mac Pro (Early 2009). Logic Pro X is 10.3.3 and I am using the Avid 003 Family driver version 11.1.5.
Problem is when I create a midi track in Logic's arrangement window and then arm it. Logic shows it is receiving the note info from my master keyboard and sending it out to the external synth I want to use. But no info is coming out of the 003's midi output. The 003 has LED's to show when it is receiving and transmitting midi data. If I create a midi region on a external midi track and draw notes on it then play the track back,everything works as it should. The LED's on the 003 light up showing they are transmitting midi data and the synth plays the notes. I am moving over from Logic Pro 9 to Logic X and am using the same setup of interfaces audio/midi for both software. The 003 works as it should do in Logic Pro 9.
I have of course created instruments in the midi instrument layer of the environment and have tried using a instrument track with the external instruments plugin inserted on it with some success. But found using more then one external synth this way would create lots of hanging,stuck midi notes.
I have a MOTU FastLane USB midi interface that working perfectly in Logic X so it seem I am doing something wrong regarding the 003's midi output. Or it is a bug
I could just use the MOTU for Logic Pro X but I am still using Logic Pro 9 a lot so I would have to unplug and replug midi cables.
Any help or suggestions welcomed.


Peter
Mud on the road
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Unusual behaviour of Logic Pro X with external midi instruments

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Mud on the road wrote:Problem is when I create a midi track in Logic's arrangement window and then arm it. Logic shows it is receiving the note info from my master keyboard and sending it out to the external synth I want to use. But no info is coming out of the 003's midi output.

What track object is assigned to the track? Are it's MIDI port and channel correctly set?

Mud on the road wrote:The 003 has LED's to show when it is receiving and transmitting midi data. If I create a midi region on a external midi track and draw notes on it then play the track back,everything works as it should. The LED's on the 003 light up showing they are transmitting midi data and the synth plays the notes.

Ok, if the track is correctly outputting MIDI to the synth from MIDI regions, but not responding when you play "live", check the MIDI channel of your master keyboard - if it's not 1, set it to 1 (as likely, when you create notes, they are being created on channel 1). Alternatively, you can set the MIDI channel of the track instrument to 1, to rechannelise everything to 1, regardless of the channel it's coming in on.

Or am I misunderstanding the behaviour you're describing?
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8888
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Unusual behaviour of Logic Pro X with external midi instruments

Postby Mud on the road » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:48 am

Hi Desmond,
thanks for the help.

desmond wrote:What track object is assigned to the track? Are it's MIDI port and channel correctly set?

The tracks are assigned to midi instrument objects (for each synth) in the midi instrument layer of the environment. All midi ports and channels are set correctly.
Midi note data I have written by hand into midi regions on the tracks plays back correctly.

desmond wrote:Ok, if the track is correctly outputting MIDI to the synth from MIDI regions, but not responding when you play "live"

Yes,that is correct.

desmond wrote: check the MIDI channel of your master keyboard - if it's not 1, set it to 1 (as likely, when you create notes, they are being created on channel 1). Alternatively, you can set the MIDI channel of the track instrument to 1, to rechannelise everything to 1, regardless of the channel it's coming in on.

Tried this. No luck. Still the same behaviour.
Very strange and frustrating! :crazy:


Peter
Mud on the road
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Unusual behaviour of Logic Pro X with external midi instruments

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am

Mud on the road wrote:The tracks are assigned to midi instrument objects (for each synth) in the midi instrument layer of the environment. All midi ports and channels are set correctly.
Midi note data I have written by hand into midi regions on the tracks plays back correctly.

Ok. So that impiles they are working fine, at least.

Mud on the road wrote:
desmond wrote:Ok, if the track is correctly outputting MIDI to the synth from MIDI regions, but not responding when you play "live"

Yes,that is correct.

Strange!

Try this:

- In the environment, create a new Instrument object. Set it to a MIDI output port on the device, and set it's channel to "All" for now (so it will pass all data on all MIDI channels unchanged).

- Assign that new Instrument object to an arrange track and select the track

- Play your master keyboard. In the display in the transport, there's a display of MIDI activity (you might need to select the Custom display if it's not currently visible to see this). When you play notes on your master keyboard, what MIDI channel are the incoming events? Do you see both incoming notes, and outgoing notes as you play? Do you hear the notes on the synth that's connected/see the MIDI output activity on the 003?

- Record some notes into a region, and open the region in the event editor. What MIDI channel are the notes? Do they play back to your device ok?

(If you have to change MIDI channels to make your device respond on something other than 1, what MIDI channel is it receiving on?)

I assume this is only a problem with the 003, and that other MIDI devices work as expected, given what you say above, and if so this indicates the problem, if there, is more on the 003 driver side than Logic as such. Does this happen even if you set up a new project from a blank project (ie, not one of your existing templates/projects?)

The other option, as you mention, is to not use the old school method of creating environment objects, but instead using the External Instrument plugin on a software instrument track, and set that to the MIDI output of your device. You say this works for the device in question (ie MIDI output is passed to it). You shouldn't be getting stuck notes here either - do the stuck notes only happen with the 003?

I'm happy to do more troubleshooting, but if it looks like the 003 just isn't behaving with MIDI output (if that *is* the case), then ultimately it might be easier to grab a more reliable MIDI interface - for example, a used AMT8 should be pretty inexpensive to pick up and is rock solid - and just use that instead...
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8888
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users