You are here

Sysex message from QLab to Logic X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Sysex message from QLab to Logic X

Postby brasil340 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello, I've been using QLab for a while and the normal programming I understand, but now we added the tracks to Logic and we have all connected with MIDI converters so the con poo uterus can recognize messages.

I wonder if anyone knows how can I learn a command on logic trough Sysex?
To explain better, what I want to do is to send a Sysex message to Logic to play, or to locate a certain timecode position, or jump to next marker, all through QLAB.

Anyone uses it and can help me with it?!

Thanks!!!!
brasil340

Re: Sysex message from QLab to Logic X

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 pm

It depends on the sysex messages used. If they are short, then it might be possible, you can indeed specify sysex messages in the controller assignments in Logic.

If the messages are long/complex, encode values, use checksums and other complexities, then you're going to run into roadblocks.

However, I'm not sure why you need to use sysex, when MIDI has perfectly standard and supported commands for transport, sync, timecode/song position and other things. But this will depend on QLab's MIDI features, which you'll need to check it's manual for.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby brasil340 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks desmond, I have a few projects that already use the Sysex as a means to communicate with logic and I need to add cues in QLab because the person who creates them did not do a very good job and there is things missing, and he is not with our company anymore.

I just can't figure it out how to learn a command from logic in its Sysex message, I have play, stop, locate timecode xx, already in the project but don't know how he found out the message, and I don't want to use different language in the project on different cues.

I didn't specify before I have a MOTU midi express xt connected to the computers, and I use 3 mac minis, 1 with QLab and 2 with logic playing, one main and one backup. And the messages I send from QLab need to go to booth computers.
brasil340

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 pm

brasil340 wrote:I just can't figure it out how to learn a command from logic in its Sysex message, I have play, stop, locate timecode xx, already in the project but don't know how he found out the message, and I don't want to use different language in the project on different cues.

You don't need to learn them - you can type the required sysex bytes directly into any learned message...

If you want to find out what message Q-Lab is sending, you can use something like MIDIpipe or another MIDI monitor tool to display the data it's sending. You can then use that info in Logic to trigger whatever commands you want.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby brasil340 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Thank you very much!! Will try and see if I can figure it out!
brasil340