You are here

Music on MacOS

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Music on MacOS

Postby GilbertJobs » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:28 am

I've been using music on my iPhone and iPad for the past 4 years, and I finally got a MacBook Pro the other week. When apple can make such good apps for music on the iPhone and iPad, I don't seem to understand why there isn't a decent app for macOS.
the music on macOS, as we all know is built into iTunes. the same iTunes that houses, podcasts, tv programs films and audio books, and the buying songs from iTunes Store. iTunes is even responsible for syncing iPad and iPhone and the backup of those devices. WOW.
What they should've done is; create separate apps for

Podcast - similar to what is there on iOS

TV programs & Films should be part of the TV app which is coming to Mac

Move audio books to the Books App. (on iOS too, if that's not a thing yet)

Remove the 'Buy songs' section of the iTunes Store, because lets be real, iPods are gone, everyones moving to music, and this will motivate the final few.With the ongoing marzipan program where developers can make iOS like apps fro macOS, It should be apples priority to show how its done. if they can do it with stocks, home, and voice recording app, they can surely do it for Music
GilbertJobs

Re: Music on MacOS

Postby Dave B » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 pm

'arf a mo. iTunes is quite an old bit of software and has had a number of changes over the years. TBH, I'm less than impressed by 'music' on the phone/pad. But it takes all sorts.

Apparently, iTunes _will_ be split into a bunch of components in a subsequent release (if the rumours are to be believed). So you may get your wish. Personally, I'd like them to move to a model of 'open standard background music player service and iTunes acting as a player / front end' so that I can have a low power consumption device acting as a media server. But I don't think that they'll ever do that. Which is a shame.

As for removing 'buy songs' - forget it. Some of us still want an audio library facility. Hell, we still get real media and rip the CD! If Apple chose not to do offer those functions, I'd start moving my main platform over to some Linux distro and ditch macOs as a domestic platform. And, given that they make money from me - and others like me - I suspect I won't have to move too soon.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby cyrano.mac » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:15 pm

The app "Music" is coming to macOS. Here's the site that's part of the new habitat:

https://www.apple.com/apple-music/

As you can see, it's subscription based.

Yes, iTunes has become an old dragon. The new kid on the block is cloud-based. No content on your device, so nothing to listen too without an internet connection. Not my cup of tea.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:34 pm

That link is for Apple Music, the service which is already available on macOS but via iTunes.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm

The link in my post isn't where you ended up, I just noticed.

The subdomain music.apple.com is in beta. When I looked at it, it showed another page. But that's a couple of weeks ago. Today, it redirects.

Sometimes it shows the new web-interface for the Music service. Sometimes it redirects to apple.com/apple-music. Maybe too much visitors?

I don't know when the site will be officially open for duty.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 pm

(Cough)

Ahem ... Catalina has ditched iTunes in favour of Music, Podcasts, Books and TV after all. I checked Music ad it still have the concept of a library so hopefully it should be lightweight now. I’ll be interested to dig deeper and see if sharing over a network is still supported. Hmmnnnn

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster