You are here

? Mainstage Autosampler stops sending MIDI

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

? Mainstage Autosampler stops sending MIDI

Postby Antibalas HiFi » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:06 am

I'll have Autosampler working, then after awhile it wil no longer send MIDI to the Autosampler Virtual MIDI channel that is used to send the MIDI to other applications.

My teammate has the exact same issue. We both have to restart our computers to fix it.

If we watch MIDI Message Monitor in Mainstage, we see that it's sending out of a random port instead of the Autosampler port.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've tried:
- Restarting Core Audio
- Audio MIDI Setup > Rescan MIDI Setup
- Restarting Mainstage & Ableton (Ableton is where it's being sent)
Antibalas HiFi

Re: ? Mainstage Autosampler stops sending MIDI

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Antibalas HiFi wrote:I'll have Autosampler working, then after awhile it wil no longer send MIDI to the Autosampler Virtual MIDI channel that is used to send the MIDI to other applications.

What version of MS (and OSX) are you using?

Also, what does "a while" mean? I rigged up a quick test and Autosampler was sending the messages on the correct port as expected, but if "a while" means after three hours of sampling, then I haven't got that far...

Is it a certain number of events? A certain numer of samples? A similar position in the current autosampler list of samples to record? Are you switching out any other MIDI devices that may cause the MIDI port order to change, in the mdidle of a sampling session?

Antibalas HiFi wrote:If we watch MIDI Message Monitor in Mainstage, we see that it's sending out of a random port instead of the Autosampler port.

The same port every time, or does it really switch to a random port (different each time it happens)? And the events *no longer come from the autosampler port*? Are you sure?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: ? Mainstage Autosampler stops sending MIDI

Postby Antibalas HiFi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks for the assist.

desmond wrote:What version of MS (and OSX) are you using?

I'm on Sierra, he's on Mojave.

Is it a certain number of events? A certain numer of samples? A similar position in the current autosampler list of samples to record? Are you switching out any other MIDI devices that may cause the MIDI port order to change, in the mdidle of a sampling session?

We cannot tell. He's doing most of the sampling and he says he's always using it when it cuts out. It's seemingly random.

For me, I'll cmd+tab to Mainstage and it'll just be broken.

desmond wrote:Is it a certain number of events? A certain numer of samples? A similar position in the current autosampler list of samples to record? Are you switching out any other MIDI devices that may cause the MIDI port order to change, in the mdidle of a sampling session?

We are only doing light sampling, and while we both have keyboards, they shouldn't affect Autosampler's virtual MIDI port. Indeed the MIDI monitor will say that it's using the Autosampler port, but it won't be sending MIDI on it.

I know the issue is on Autosampler's side because neither Ableton nor Logic can receive the MIDI. I've spent about an hour or two trying to fix it, restarting is the only solution we can find.

I've also tried restarting the MIDIServer process, which macOS seems to strongly dislike compared to e.g. restarting CoreAudio, which it recovers gracefully from.
Antibalas HiFi