You are here

MainStage 3 Instrument Problems

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MainStage 3 Instrument Problems

Postby gwain350 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm

I currently am running a downloaded concert for a marching band show on MainStage for Synths. There is one particular channel, called Solo Violin that is mapped as playing all keys on the keyboard but in actuality only sounds from G#3 to C5.
I have tried to move the Layer Editor around to see if that would fix the problem and even download the concert on to a different MacBook to see if it was the computer or program on the other computer making it problematic but it's not.
I am unfortunately unable to just replace the instrument with something else because it is not in the generic sounds on MainStage and I did not create the files.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
gwain350
New here

Re: MainStage 3 Instrument Problems

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:29 pm

If it's a public link, could you provide a link to the download so we can examine the concert to see what's going on?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby gwain350 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:48 pm

desmond wrote:If it's a public link, could you provide a link to the download so we can examine the concert to see what's going on?

It is something that was bought for our marching band so it's not right of me to share it publicly.
gwain350
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:43 pm

No problem. Is the Solo Violin instrument a Mainstage factory instrument, or is this an instrument that has been created by a third-party? What plugin instrument is on this channel?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby gwain350 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:09 pm

desmond wrote:No problem. Is the Solo Violin instrument a Mainstage factory instrument, or is this an instrument that has been created by a third-party? What plugin instrument is on this channel?

If I'm correct it is an instrument created by a third party. It has an aux attached to it in Mainstage which makes it so it has effects like reverb and grow to it.
gwain350
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 pm

gwain350 wrote:If I'm correct it is an instrument created by a third party.

So it's probably an EXS24/Sampler plugin, with custom samples in it.

It might be that they only sampled the range of notes that you have access to. You can probably manually extend the mappings, but you won't get any more samples, you'll just have to transpose them to extend the range, which might not sound great.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby gwain350 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am

desmond wrote:
gwain350 wrote:If I'm correct it is an instrument created by a third party.

So it's probably an EXS24/Sampler plugin, with custom samples in it.

It might be that they only sampled the range of notes that you have access to. You can probably manually extend the mappings, but you won't get any more samples, you'll just have to transpose them to extend the range, which might not sound great.

It won't let me change the range. I think I mentioned that it's shown as being the whole range but only sounds the small range.
It maps that the synth is playing other notes but no sound is connected to them.
gwain350
New here

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:06 am

gwain350 wrote:It won't let me change the range. I think I mentioned that it's shown as being the whole range but only sounds the small range.

It's difficult to guess what you're dealing with based on so little information. Can you do some screen grabs?

*If* it's the EXS24 (which we haven't established yet), then you'd open the plugin, hit edit and see the instrument editor, and tweak the mapped ranges that way (*if* that's the problem). But really, I'd need more information to help guide you. If you can do a screen grab showing that instrument channel, and the plugin that's on it, and also open that plugin (double-click on it) then I might have a better idea of what you're seeing...

Better still, make a copy of the concert, erase everything except the instrument causing you problems, and upload it privately somewhere (I don't even need the samples) and I'll take a look at it.

Failing that, you could perhaps ask for some support from the vendor you purchased the concert from, if it's not performing as you expected...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Very likely that, being violin, it's been sampled for the whole range of the instrument, and the samples just aren't there for the other notes on the piano keyboard.
DanielBeach
Poster