You are here

Need help with a complicated set up.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Need help with a complicated set up.

Postby daerp1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:28 am

At least I find my setup has evolved in the past few months to the point that I can easily get in a bit of trouble and can't figure my way out. I'm looking for some direction to an article or two, or even better and answer that shows how things should be set up.

All software and firmware is up to date.

I have a 27" Mac with loads of RAM. The desktop is not an issue I am sure as everything was working fine a couple of days ago.

But things have stopped working properly. No audio output in DP.... I've tried different hardware configurations. Not sure if the output should be set to Audient 14 or Aggregate with includes (Audient and Telestream (from Screenflow).

Audient ID14 Audio interface (connected by USB)
It's outputs go to a Mackie 1202 mixer.
Digital Performer 10
Finale 26
REASON 10
Sibelius
ScreenFlow
Final Cut Pro X
etc.

Many sample libraries (VSL, Ample Guitar, EastWest, etc.)
Samples are all on external SSD drives.

I find the hardware configuration so confusing. There is a need to get things lined up in:
Audient ID software
Apple Mac System (AUDIO/MIDI) - not ever sure if the output should be Aggregate or Audient 14 by itself.
Telestream Audio Capture.

Plus the device configurations in Finale and Digital Performer are another matter.

I'm sure I've left something out of this description, but is there a tech line I could call (anywhere) that might deal with my whole picture rather than one device or piece of software at a time?

My thanks.
Paul
daerp1
Poster

Re: Need help with a complicated set up.

Postby The Korff » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am

daerp1 wrote:No audio output in DP....

Do you mean that the meters in DP are bouncing around as they should, but that you're not hearing anything? Are the meters on your Mackie doing anything at all?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby daerp1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am

The Korff wrote:
daerp1 wrote:No audio output in DP....

Do you mean that the meters in DP are bouncing around as they should, but that you're not hearing anything? Are the meters on your Mackie doing anything at all?

Without understanding how, I have managed to get audio working again in DP. But, at one point the meters were moving and no audio.

Something I changed, again without understanding what I was doing, was I went to the Mac System Audio (within Audio/Midi setup) and experimented with setting output to Audient 14, and then Aggregate (which includes the Audient and other options (Built-in Output and Telestream Audio Capture) simultaneously.

Should I always set one option at a time depending on workflow? If I work in ScreenFlow, I need to use Telestream.

For work in Digital Performer or Finale, I have to be sure that the Hardware Driver option is set to Audient. Can it be Aggregate? I thought that was how I had it set before.

:headbang:
daerp1
Poster

Postby fruitcake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:23 pm

This may help in setting up an aggregate device on your Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

Then in DP you assign which interface, or sound output you want your track to be on. There’s a lot of different reasons you’ll get no audio in DP. It’s a very versatile and deep DAW, thus it has a steep learning curve. I’ve been using it for years and still run into things I have to dig through the manual to figure out. Not to poo-poo the fine folks at SOS, but the Motunation forum is a great resource for all things MOTU.
When trying to find the reason for no audio, the best places to start in DP are pulling up the Meters window, the MIDI Monitor window and Bundles window. Then you can narrow things down.
fruitcake
Regular

Postby MOF » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:04 pm

I have had a similar occurrence with Logic and a UAD interface, you’re not supposed to let the computer go to sleep.
When I had a firewire iMac and allowed it to sleep the audio would stop working and you had to switch the interface off and on again.
Now I’ve moved to a Thunderbolt iMac that hasn’t been the case except for just one time which caught me out then I remembered the most likely reason and that sorted it.
In fact I’ve found with Thunderbolt that just unplugging the cable works fine at resetting it.
MOF
Regular