You are here

Soundflower not showing up

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Soundflower not showing up

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 am

Hi everyone ... I downloaded soundflower to my 2009 macMini El Capitan so that I can create soundfiles through Audacity from live streamed source in order to make CDs for a blind friend person.
When I download SF it doesn't show up in system prefs audio, or inaudio Midi Setup [in utilities].
Some versions won't even get installed.
From my scrabbling about on the net I found that SF 2.0b2 is best for me. But it wasn't.
I also tried 1.5.1 and 1.6.6b.

Or is there another app [cheap/free] which would work.
Thank you fro reading, and even more thank yous if you respond. :)
John
McBryde
New here

Re: Soundflower not showing up

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 am

Welcome to the SOS forums. I have approved your first post as there are legal applications for using Soundflower... but please note that SOS does not support or condone the illegal recording of copyrighted material.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:52 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Welcome to the SOS forums. I have approved your first post as there are legal applications for using Soundflower... but please note that SOS does not support or condone the illegal recording of copyrighted material.

H
Thank you.
They are discussions about a specific meditation technique which my blind friend subscribes to. So I think it should be ok - but I'll check.
J
McBryde
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I've never had a problem with SoundFlower (although I generally use other, better - and not free - tools for these purposes these days) but I can't see why you would be having a problem, if you're downloading it from some legit place, it's the appropriate download for your system (eg, not an old, out of date PPC version or something) and following the install instructions.

Can you link to the version you downloaded? I think I have an El Cap virtual machine I can check it on, and see if it gives any clues...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:25 pm

I think this is where I found it.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14067/soundflower
I downloaded different versions at different time - but mostly this one.
Each time I rebooted after installing. Then, when it didn't work I uninstalled according to their instructions [using Terminal].
McBryde
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm

So, I just installed it on El Cap without problems.

I had the Sound preference panel open, and on completion of the installer (when it says "Installed Successfully"), two new audio devices were instantly added to the Sound preferences panel - the stereo version of SoundFlower, and the multi-channel version, as expected.

When you install it - do you get the "Installation Successful" message from the installer?
Do you have the Soundflower audio devices created in the Sound system preference panel?

The main component of Soundflower is the driver extension, which is placed in "/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext" by default. Do you have that extension there after installation?

(If it's not there, check also "/System/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext", just in case there is an older/existing version there.)

You'll need admin privileges to install drivers, so you should be asked for an admin password when installing, otherwise the installer won't be able to place drivers into your system...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 pm

When you install it - do you get the "Installation Successful" message from the installer?
yes
Do you have the Soundflower audio devices created in the Sound system preference panel?
no! :\

[color=#0080BF]The main component of Soundflower is the driver extension, which is placed in "/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext" by default. Do you have that extension there after installation?[/color]
yes. Dated 19th Dec 2014 [created, modified and last opened] version 2.0b2

(If it's not there, check also "/System/Library/Extensions/Soundflower.kext", just in case there is an older/existing version there.)
It's there - dated 6th Aug 2012 [created, modified and last opened] version 1.6.6

Maybe that's the problem - there's on old version in the system....
If so, should I delete it, do you think?

Thanks for your assistance, Desmond.
McBryde
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes, delete the one in the system library. I do not have one there on a standard installation, just the root library instance.

Running the uninstaller should delete it if it's there, anyway (unless there are permissions problems).

You might need to do something else to force the system to update the kernel extensions, but I'll cover that if necessary - for now, remove it, and restart, and see if that gets it working...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:00 pm

I did that.
When I rebooted there was no soundflower in system prefs sound.
And in the system library there is now no soundflower.

In the meantime I can download podcasts for my blind friend. So there's no hurry.
And if it doesn't get anywhere, I can abandon this idea!
Thanks.
J
McBryde
New here

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 pm

McBryde wrote:I did that.
When I rebooted there was no soundflower in system prefs sound.
And in the system library there is now no soundflower.

Ok - try running the Soundflower uninstaller to clean up the previous install. Reboot for good measure, and make sure the kext is gone from the root library as well.

Then finally open the Sound preference pane, and re-run the Soundflower installer - see whether this time the audio devices get added as expected (now there's no version clash going on).

*Hopefully* that should do it...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby McBryde » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:50 pm

I'll try it in the morning!
McBryde
New here

Postby McBryde » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:31 pm

There was only something in the library [dated Dec 14] and nothing in the system library.
I uninstalled, rebooted, installed ... but it failed [same content in library].
I tried it twice.

With your help I've managed to understand this a little better. But I don't think we're getting anywhere with this. So I'm ready not to use this system?
Thank you for your assistance - I was impressed how you could do that, not being Mac native.
It's all a bit of a jungle to me still. And this week it's been full of creeping monsters! All sorts of technology failures in different areas - computer, car, washing machine, etc.
John
McBryde
New here

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm

McBryde wrote:There was only something in the library [dated Dec 14] and nothing in the system library.
I uninstalled, rebooted, installed ... but it failed [same content in library].
I tried it twice.

Hmm, very strange!

McBryde wrote:With your help I've managed to understand this a little better. But I don't think we're getting anywhere with this. So I'm ready not to use this system?

No problem - there are some further troubleshooting steps we could do, or I could suggest some alternatives (not free) which should be easier to deal with, if you want to revisit this at some stage.

McBryde wrote:Thank you for your assistance - I was impressed how you could do that, not being Mac native.
It's all a bit of a jungle to me still. And this week it's been full of creeping monsters! All sorts of technology failures in different areas - computer, car, washing machine, etc.

You're welcome - sorry the outcome wasn't more positive..!
desmond
Jedi Poster