You are here

Logic Pro X - track "lanes"

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X - track "lanes"

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi all,

This may seem a dumb question, but for all my googling I can't find an answer to it.

I'd like to be able to have different lanes within a track, for example:

I set up a software instrument with a piano sound, and record just the left hand. Then, I'd like to go back and record the right hand on the same "track" (so that all settings are the same, rather than having a new software instrument track) BUT with the second recorded part in a separate lane below the first, for ease of editing, different quantising, etc.

The same with audio tracks - record a take of a singer or instrumentalist, then be able to mute that and do another take on the same track, but in a different lane.

So far, I'm stumped!

Sorry if it's something daft and obvious which I've missed.

Daniel
DanielBeach
Poster

Re: Logic Pro X - track "lanes"

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:56 pm

DanielBeach wrote:This may seem a dumb question, but for all my googling I can't find an answer to it.

There are no dumb questions!

DanielBeach wrote:I'd like to be able to have different lanes within a track, for example:

I set up a software instrument with a piano sound, and record just the left hand. Then, I'd like to go back and record the right hand on the same "track" (so that all settings are the same, rather than having a new software instrument track) BUT with the second recorded part in a separate lane below the first, for ease of editing, different quantising, etc.

The same with audio tracks - record a take of a singer or instrumentalist, then be able to mute that and do another take on the same track, but in a different lane.

So far, I'm stumped!

Sorry if it's something daft and obvious which I've missed.

Ok, you've been able to do this since Logic 1 - in fact, it's a fundamental feature of Logic (and one of the reasons I love it) and not many other DAWs behave this way.

Most other DAWs have a fixed track to channel relationship - so one track in the arrange window, corresponds to one channel strip (audio channel, software instrument channel, whatever).

Logic doesn't have this fixed track relationship, so you can have as many arrange tracks (horizontal lanes in the arrange window) all assigned to the same channel strip. I do this all the time.

So for instance, create a software instrument track with your piano sound, plugins etc. Then select it in the arrange, and use the "New Track with Same Channel Strip/Instrument" key command (I have this on the F3 key).

This will create a new arrange track, assigned to the *same* instrument object (software instrument channel strip), and will give you want you want.

This is different to the little + icon at the top of the track list, which is "New Track with Duplicate Settings", which creates a new arrange track, and a *copy* of the channel strip and all it's plugins (so you now get two instances of all the plugins).

This works for audio, but you can only have one audio region playing on a channel at any one time, so you'l need to mute things accordingly. This is how I used to comp vocals in Logic - multiple tracks assigned to the same audio channel strip. However, for vocals, you're better off using Logic's "Take Folders", which kind of duplicates this "multi-lane in one track" thing, but it a more logical way and with some advantages.

If you're not using take folders, then check them out. I don't tend to use them for MIDI (but you can), I prefer the multiple tracks approach, but for audio, take folders are (imo) the way to go. (You can translate between normal tracks and take folders in either direction, if necessary).

Hope that helps,
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Really useful reply, Desmond, thanks.

I'll look into take folders!

Are you able to trigger them manually, or can it only happen automatically when in, e.g. cycle mode?

Daniel
DanielBeach
Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 pm

DanielBeach wrote:I'll look into take folders!
Are you able to trigger them manually, or can it only happen automatically when in, e.g. cycle mode?

There is a range of functionality with Logic's take system - I recommend spending a bit of time with the manual (or YouTube if that's preferable).

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10. ... cp317d758e

In essence, you have a single master track, but have several "takes" - eg, several passes of a vocal recording.

You can choose which take is active (eg "I preferred that third take the best"), or you can quick-swipe comp a comp track containing words/phrases from different takes to build a composite track. There aren't really many limitations. You can combine multiple audio tracks into a take folder, and you can export the contents of take folders back out to regular audio tracks.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Never knew about the new track, same channel option! It's under Other in the Track menu which I'd never looked at all these years! Amazing, cheers.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Never knew about the new track, same channel option! It's under Other in the Track menu which I'd never looked at all these years! Amazing, cheers.

I've had the same key combos:
F3 - New track, same object
F4 - New track, next object

...since Logic 1.x, I think... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 am

F3 doesn't work for me, presume you set those key commands up yourself? The dropdown lists the key command as Control Shift Return.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:F3 doesn't work for me, presume you set those key commands up yourself? The dropdown lists the key command as Control Shift Return.

Yes, I'm saying I've had those two particular custom key commands set since forever, and I use them all the time...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am

It's a great idea and will certainly help CPU load too.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)