You are here

Logic: IAC Driver Bus 11 Ch1, WTF is this that's popped up???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic: IAC Driver Bus 11 Ch1, WTF is this that's popped up???

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 pm

For no reason at all that I can see, a track has popped up in a project I'm working on in Logic all of a sudden. It calls itself IAC Driver Bus 11 with Ch1 greyed out too. What is this and why has it appeared??? Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic: IAC Driver Bus 11 Ch1, WTF is this that's popped up???

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Also, my keyboard sustain pedal suddenly stopped working too. Is this connected?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:For no reason at all that I can see, a track has popped up in a project I'm working on in Logic all of a sudden. It calls itself IAC Driver Bus 11 with Ch1 greyed out too. What is this and why has it appeared??? Cheers

What is what? The IAC bus?

It looks like there is an environment object, probably a multi-instrument, either set to that MIDI port, or it was set to something else but maybe the MIDI ports have been rearranged. Difficult to tell with little information, screen grabs might help.

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Also, my keyboard sustain pedal suddenly stopped working too. Is this connected?

It'll have to be connected, if it's going to work. Check the cable hasn't become disconnected... ;) :tongue: :thumbup:

You'll need to to troubleshoot. If your pedal is connected to a keyboard, is that keyboard still transmitting MIDI to Logic?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Looking at this more closely, the IAC track is called Grand Piano in the inspector window, with Rev and Chorus controls, and it has 16 tracks of grand piano in the mixer window if you click All. So I have no idea what the IAC bus is and why this track and its mixer channels should suddenly appear.

Re the Sustain pedal, I opened a software instrument as a standalone (XLR Add Keys) and clicked on its midi prefs to select my keyboard controller that the pedal is plugged into and this now works in Logic again too. The only thing ticked was, you guessed it, AIC Driver.

Strange things are afoot here. I have changed nothing from my default midi/keys etc set up before these two things happened, so I can't help thinking they're connected?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Here's the new arrange track and its inspector window
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Looking at this more closely, the IAC track is called Grand Piano in the inspector window, with Rev and Chorus controls, and it has 16 tracks of grand piano in the mixer window if you click All. So I have no idea what the IAC bus is and why this track and its mixer channels should suddenly appear.

The IAC bus (Inter Application Communication) is a great OSX feature - it's effectively an internal MIDI port/s that let applications communicate with each other. So you can send MIDI from Logic, to Ableton Live, for example.

By default it's turned off in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility (but I have it permanently on, as I use it frequently).

The exact reason for the behaviour you see is unclear (I don't know what you have been doing or what applications have been doing) but if it's not welcome in your project, just delete the object. You can also uncheck those MIDI ports in Logic if necessary.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm

desmond wrote:The exact reason for the behaviour you see is unclear (I don't know what you have been doing or what applications have been doing) but if it's not welcome in your project, just delete the object. You can also uncheck those MIDI ports in Logic if necessary.

Not with Logic (as I don't use it) but I've had crazier stuff happen in projects when the project file had become corrupted for some reason, often due to one or another DAW's bug.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm

The exact reason for the behaviour you see is unclear

I was just recording some audio tracks in Logic with my usual setup and this thing popped up out of the blue. Certainly didn't go anywhere near the audio midi setup or anything! What else can you do to turn it on automatically?

I'm convinced the sustain pedal failing is connected, though, it seems too coincidental not to be and the fact that in XLN the IAC driver was ticked and no other keyboard or controller was simply reinforces this belief.

Thanks for your help, cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I was just recording some audio tracks in Logic with my usual setup and this thing popped up out of the blue. Certainly didn't go anywhere near the audio midi setup or anything! What else can you do to turn it on automatically?

It's difficult to say - I've never had a track randomly created in an active Logic project, so I can't really suggest what's going on, other than something announced itself on the IAC bus for some reason, and Logic reacted...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Would that typically be some third party software then?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Would that typically be some third party software then?

I have no idea what's on your system. But yes, all kinds of things set themselves up for all kinds of reasons, applications create and remove virtual MIDI ports, hardware gets detected as control surfaces and thus configures your DAW to behave in certain ways due to MIDI traffic in certain ports etc etc.

This is not really something I can feasibly diagnose remotely, unless you can come up with a reproducible case to demonstrate it reliably...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:16 pm

OK, if it does it again I'll be sure to let you know!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)