You are here

Internal SSD for Samples, Projects and Libraries?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Internal SSD for Samples, Projects and Libraries?

Postby james090 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am

I am thinking of possibly a new Mac (iMac or MBP) with a large internal SSD.

I am still on an older iMac with various external drives hanging off the back with USB (older 7200rpm drives)

If I was to upgrade to a newer Mac with say a 2TB SSD installed, could I possibly use this for projects, audio recording, samples and streaming libraries as its an SSD?

Would it cope? do others work this way?

Or is it still better to do the same, and get various drives (maybe ext SSD's USB?) pluged into the back still ?

I would always back up projects to an external, but i think my question would be day to day running of everything from a newer internal SSD?

Thoughts? and any recommendations on ext USB SSD's that are good/reliable?

Thanks!
james090
Regular

Re: Internal SSD for Samples, Projects and Libraries?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am

I am currently using one of these plugged into one of the USB C ports on my iMac Pro and housing a pair of Samsung TB 860 EVO SSD drives (one 1TB and one 2TB). They aren't RAIDed but performance is still impressive and I get 3TB of storage for about the cost of the difference between a 1TB and 2TB Apple internal SSD. I am happy with the choice I made.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby miN2 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 pm

james090 wrote:If I was to upgrade to a newer Mac with say a 2TB SSD installed, could I possibly use this for projects, audio recording, samples and streaming libraries as its an SSD?

Would it cope? do others work this way?

It would depend on the amount you're asking of it—there's a reason people network with things like Vienna Ensemble. If you're not asking a high track count with many articulations it will work, but there will be a limit.

I understand the wish to do it though as it's what i'd want to do. Necessary external things to a laptop is rather annoying after all.
miN2
Poster

Postby redlester » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Similarly (but differently) to CC above, I have recently got one of these plugged into my Mac Mini:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

So far it's only housing one 4TB Samsung 860 Evo but working like a dream, even with the (for some) resource hungry Spitfire BBC SO library. For me it's only operating at USB 3.0 speed until I upgrade the computer. The i9 iMac being the one most likely.
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 am

Startech make good kit in my experience.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.