You are here

MBP 15" 2019, 8 core Intel i9, 16 GB Catalina 10.15 Useless piece of junk.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MBP 15" 2019, 8 core Intel i9, 16 GB Catalina 10.15 Useless piece of junk.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm considering going back to my Sinclair ZX81. Seriously this is a sheer waste of money. between 45 seconds and a minute and a half to load an Arturia Instrument. When it does load, it doesn't see my microKEY, and sometimes not my Quartet. It can't see the dongle for Reason Studios 11 suite, and I have to pay for an update from 2018 to 2019 for BIAB.

Some Arturia Instruments are not compatible with Catalina, but it's the ones that are compatible that are giving the above problems.

I remember when I first switched to Intel on a Mac with all the software being run by a compiler in real time - Clever, but useless for music apps and not widely realised by me and many others.

Well this experience is as bad as that frankly, and although I said I wouldnt trust it for music apps (quite rightly) I tried again today in a futile effort to justify the outlay and I realise the best thing to do with this thing is put it away for about six months, and come back to it when it is remotely useable. I have wasted many of my installations on loading this machine with Arturia, IK Multimedia and others, and enough is enough.

My advice to anyone considering a Macbook Pro 2019? AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE until it is fit for purpose.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: MBP 15" 2019, 8 core Intel i9, 16 GB Catalina 10.15 Useless piece of junk.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:41 pm

However the good news is my early 2015 High Sierra Intel Core i5 8 GB works perfectly
with exactly the same setup - I just swopped out the 2019 for the 2015.

One lives and learns (but one singularly fails to learn NOT to buy the latest Mac stuff until it works)

Oh well.

:D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Mixedup » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I think the rule of thumb is just not to buy a brand-new Mac if you're working with audio — and certainly not very soon after Apple have launched a major OS update.

Many more software developers than is typical issued warnings about Catalina, and many still urge waiting before updating to that OS while they test things and resolve problems.

They'll all come good with time, other than support for older devices and legacy software perhaps... but by that time you might as well have bought a second hand machine with the a usable OS in the first place :headbang:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:29 am

If you buy an Apple refurb machine then they don't usually come with the latest version of the OS but the version that was current when the machine was released. That can be helpful.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:If you buy an Apple refurb machine then they don't usually come with the latest version of the OS but the version that was current when the machine was released. That can be helpful.

CC

I think that's good advice, or as Mixedup said, buy second hand in future. Having bought new I think my strategy for this one is to put it away for a few months until it becomes useful after software fixes (and to assist blood pressure levels) Bonus might be to delete software first so vendors might allow another installation in reserve, I see pages of known issues with fixes but I'm not a computer geek and frankly I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I find these "fixes" usually fail at the first hurdle when the item in the left pane under the such and such tab simply doesn't exist in your version, and that's that for the "fix". Horlicks to all that bother - I'll wait. Dammit I'm a musician, I want to make music first, record it later.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster