You are here

The 16" Macbook Pro is out

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

The 16" Macbook Pro is out

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:20 pm

More here:
https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro-16/

A fully specced up machine weighs in a nearly 6 grand...

(In case you're fretting about what to buy me for Christmas this year, that's the one... :thumbup:)

The Mac Pro has also been announced for December...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: The 16" Macbook Pro is out

Postby Agharta » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:04 pm

desmond wrote:The Mac Pro has also been announced for December...
Did they give a year also? :shh:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm

I like the way they say "Boundaries are meant to be pushed". Obviously Apple regards price as a boundary.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:17 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I like the way they say "Boundaries are meant to be pushed". Obviously Apple regards price as a boundary.

I think most people were expecting these to be even more expensive, but they are the same price as the previous versions - but better machines, by the look. And with, like, keyboards that are (hopefully) reliable...

I think my first Mac laptop, a Powerbook G4, was over 2 grand, so getting on for the base price of these. And that was already pretty slow by the standards of other machines...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Is the bit about improved cooling leading to better performance a tacit admission that they ballsed it up on the previous generation?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Is the bit about improved cooling leading to better performance a tacit admission that they ballsed it up on the previous generation?

Sure, that's how Apple do it.
Same with the keyboard situation.

The marketing language is really clear when you're at all familiar with how Apple roll - they will never say the old one was not great, they'll just say the new one is the "best one ever" and "we think customers are really going to love it" etc etc.

Some of the interviews with the MBP product manager are fun - they *clearly* understand the problems, and they invested a *ton* of effort researching and investigating the keyboard situation for this iteration (also designed in conjunction with the Pro Workflow team.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 am

That's an issue I have with Apple these days, it seems that increasingly they can't just put their hand up and say "ok, we got it wrong".
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am

Did they ever? Remember the phones with aerials that didn't work because, apparently, the users were holding them the wrong way?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 am

Rich Hanson wrote:That's an issue I have with Apple these days, it seems that increasingly they can't just put their hand up and say "ok, we got it wrong".

I got that attitude when my i Mac had to be repaired, Mac's never go wrong sir, they never get viruses, they just make your life perfect sir, in every way...our way.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 am

When my current MacBook dies (a piddly little 2012 i5 base model but it does the job more than adequately for the way I work) I am giving serious consideration to going back to PC, possibly even Linux.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:When my current MacBook dies (a piddly little 2012 i5 base model but it does the job more than adequately for the way I work) I am giving serious consideration to going back to PC, possibly even Linux.
It’s shame that PC laptops are still all awful. Either underpowered, badly built crap or weighty, gamer focused tanks with absurdly overpowered graphics cards and adolescent flashing lights.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Looks like they’ve sorted out a few glaring issues - keyboard, battery life, ram etc.

Shame that Catalina is absolutely crap and you can’t put a decent OS on it.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:32 am

Are they taking the pash? The previous one doesn't work.

I'm typing this on the previous one, logged in to the internet, and in a different tab I have Nuendo 10 running, which is telling me it is not connected to the internet, and explaining the benefits of being attached to the internet.

Meanwhile it doesn't see my Reason 11 Suite dongle, and that normally doesn't matter because you can log into your account on the internet

Only it doesn't see the internet

Seriously are they freeking kidding or what?

I wanted to see if Nuendo will see the Reason Suite as a standalone VST plugin.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:19 am

Desmond, Fide Defensor, writes

"I think most people were expecting these to be even more expensive, but they are the same price as the previous versions - but better machines, by the look. And with, like, keyboards that are (hopefully) reliable...'

Asd far as the previous model is concerned - I confirm the keyboard is not up to ZX81 standard, although it appears to have been developed with the same fiscal magnastritude employed by Sir Clive whilst failing to achieve the same level of reliability.

Better machines? They couldn't be much worse actually. I'm beginning to think Catalina was deliberately sabotaged as a smoke screen to blur the disaster of the ultra terrible 2019 MBP.

The fan noise alone precludes its use as a DAW host when it (frequently) gets hot. The dongle tangle required to allow the use of USB C or whatever it is is clumsy, unattractive and positively annoying. Then certain dongles are not seen at all through the maze of cables boxes and plugs. Catalina is the icing on the rancid cake.

The unfortunate user of this over hyped, overly expensive trash is left not knowing which faults are the result of the hardware or the OS, and as usual Apple is singularly disinterested.

I long ago gave up on Apple blogs to find answers - they are populated by fanbois who never see any wrong in Apple, and spend their long tedious hours longing for the next release.

And now they released a new and improved model?

Time to survey the PC listings I think.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Humble Bee » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Desmond, Fide Defensor, writes

"I think most people were expecting these to be even more expensive, but they are the same price as the previous versions - but better machines, by the look. And with, like, keyboards that are (hopefully) reliable...'

Asd far as the previous model is concerned - I confirm the keyboard is not up to ZX81 standard, although it appears to have been developed with the same fiscal magnastritude employed by Sir Clive whilst failing to achieve the same level of reliability.

Better machines? They couldn't be much worse actually. I'm beginning to think Catalina was deliberately sabotaged as a smoke screen to blur the disaster of the ultra terrible 2019 MBP.

The fan noise alone precludes its use as a DAW host when it (frequently) gets hot. The dongle tangle required to allow the use of USB C or whatever it is is clumsy, unattractive and positively annoying. Then certain dongles are not seen at all through the maze of cables boxes and plugs. Catalina is the icing on the rancid cake.

The unfortunate user of this over hyped, overly expensive trash is left not knowing which faults are the result of the hardware or the OS, and as usual Apple is singularly disinterested.

I long ago gave up on Apple blogs to find answers - they are populated by fanbois who never see any wrong in Apple, and spend their long tedious hours longing for the next release.

And now they released a new and improved model?

Time to survey the PC listings I think.

Yes Howdy Doody Time, I think it is time for you to switch from Apple to something else and move on from there. :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am

Rich Hanson wrote:When my current MacBook dies (a piddly little 2012 i5 base model but it does the job more than adequately for the way I work) I am giving serious consideration to going back to PC, possibly even Linux.

As an example, I put Reaper on my Linux machine, I wouldn't be worried about using that OS at all for music, it's a viable option.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm

I have a Tracktion license, and that host has a native Linux version, so it's definitely an option. Anyway, not jumping ship until this laptop turns its toes up!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Asd far as the previous model is concerned - I confirm the keyboard is not up to ZX81 standard, although it appears to have been developed with the same fiscal magnastritude employed by Sir Clive whilst failing to achieve the same level of reliability.

60K?

Is there really people willing to spend that much for a laptop?

Even at a third of that price, the value for money achieved by Sir Clive is incomparably superior :-D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Urthlupe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:45 am

I use a trashcan MacPro here whose comparative silence after the previous jet engine-esque MacPro was a massive relief (although it catastrophically failed within four months and had to be replaced.....).

Looks as if the new chassis has returned to multi-fan hell unfortunately, but just for fun I fully loaded one on the Apple site.....

£14,000.........!!!!! I was a bit stunned I must say.......

Our daughter and partner have just bought their first house.... that equals her half of the deposit - for a desktop computer - it really is a kind of lunacy I’m afraid.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby johnny h » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Urthlupe wrote:I use a trashcan MacPro here whose comparative silence after the previous jet engine-esque MacPro was a massive relief (although it catastrophically failed within four months and had to be replaced.....).

Looks as if the new chassis has returned to multi-fan hell unfortunately, but just for fun I fully loaded one on the Apple site.....

£14,000.........!!!!! I was a bit stunned I must say.......

Our daughter and partner have just bought their first house.... that equals her half of the deposit - for a desktop computer - it really is a kind of lunacy I’m afraid.
A top spec Mac Pro is not really a “desktop computer”. It’s a super high end professional workstation with a huge power supply and thirsty, expensive graphics. The $1000 monitor stand is an absolute joke though. Even die hard Mac worshippers wince at that.

The Mac mini is a desktop computer and it’s fine for most tasks.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next