You are here

The 16" Macbook Pro is out

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: The 16" Macbook Pro is out

Postby Agharta » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:37 pm

johnny h wrote:A top spec Mac Pro is not really a “desktop computer”. It’s a super high end professional workstation with a huge power supply and thirsty, expensive graphics.

Yes and these can generally easily go above £10K in price.
I imagine the disappointment with the next gen Mac Pro for audio users is more that the starting price is so high rather than how much a high end configuration costs.
The higher end versions are disappointing for another reason in that in some core ways the specs are already trounced by the competition.
AMD's 3rd generation Threadripper platform is released this month and it kicks the Intel platform into touch.
More and higher performing cores giving better performance and power efficiency and at a much lower cost.
PCIe 4.0 which doubles the bandwidth for SSDs.

I'm sure the Mac Pro has some unique features but the timing could hardly be worse.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Urthlupe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 am

johnny h wrote: A top spec Mac Pro is not really a “desktop computer”. It’s a super high end professional workstation with a huge power supply.

Here we go.... :-)

Whatever you say Johnny boy - I’m way past debating terms like ‘super high end’ (giggle), and whose PSU might be bigger.....

At my ‘augmented’ age I’m able to reflect on too many decades of computer use in a greater variety of settings than I can remember (I was out of my teens even before Jobs took the company public - 1980 I think). We clearly think different. Apologies if my view was presented as ‘a truth’, simply my view m8. I’ll get back to my current addiction - PUBG on iPad......

And just to demonstrate how dysfunctional and conflicted our gorgeous human world is - think I’m about to spend on one of the new 16” MacBook Pro’s.... maybe it’s more than just a lappie - Apple tell me it’s ‘The Best For The Brightest’. Maybe right in one sense at least :bouncy: ?

Xx

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:45 am

Four sockets to plug into +3

At the same price point as the previous generation +1

Catalina -1, but a flawed OS at worst can be fixed and at best can be upgraded.

As I was about to invest in a MacBook Pro with a single Thunderbolt connector, the new machine offers me another 3 connectors for free and saves me the cost of a Thunderbolt hub as well. My iMac can carry the load until Catalina is fixed.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Zenguitar writes "Four sockets to plug into +3"

If they are the same as those on the 2019 (15") MBP they aren't much use. What I mean is if they are all USB C (Thunderbolt?) sockets. Most of what I want to plug in is USB vanilla, so a hub or two is still needed.

I advise getting hubs with long leads otherwise it's cumbersome and untidy.

My 2019 MBP should be a fabulous computer - 8 core Intel i9, 16 Gb, big solid state drive, but it isn't and wasn't before Catalina - it's worse since. But maybe Apple will sort something out.

I strongly advisw waiting before buying the latest MBP, it's too much money to throw away.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby T3Dflo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Honestly, all of you people who upgraded to Catalina when you had to have known it was having problems (specifically with audio) & are are all down on mac complaining about it, are a little ridiculous. What did expect was going to happen? I still havent upgraded & ive had 0 problems with my hardware or software...even new software. The new features on Catalina that they were advertising about were nonsense anyway. New 16" looks amazing. & I'm sure like most other mbps it'll be better than anything hp or acer etc etc have going on. Imo.
T3Dflo

Previous