You are here

MacBook Pro partitioning question

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

MacBook Pro partitioning question

Postby forumuser661816 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi All,
I have a mbp mid 2010 which has an upgraded Ssd 480 hdd. I have it partitioned with Yosemite 10.10.5 on the first 300gb and Sierra 10.12.6 on the remaining 180gb. I did this to see if Sierra was ok on my ageing MacBook. Also this was to see some of the new features in Logic Pro x as it needed Sierra to work with the drummer etc. As Sierra is ok to use I now want to get rid of the first partition with the older software and recover the 300gb for use with Sierra.
If I simply delete partition 1 with disk utility will I be left with just the one remaining partition (the old partition 2) and will that now become partition 1 with the os Sierra plus my Logic Pro x and other software and would I automatically recoup the full 480gb?

The collective advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.
forumuser661816

Re: MacBook Pro partitioning question

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I would make a clone of partition 2 onto a USB drive and re-format/partition the internal drive, then copy the clone back to the SSD. You will need a backup before you start doing stuff to the SSD anyway so no significant time penalty involved.

I think 'disk utility' can resize an existing partition but starting with a clean disk would be my preference.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm

forumuser661816 wrote:If I simply delete partition 1 with disk utility will I be left with just the one remaining partition (the old partition 2) and will that now become partition 1 with the os Sierra plus my Logic Pro x and other software and would I automatically recoup the full 480gb?

No, the deleted partition will be unused dead space and your partition 2 will stay exactly as it is.
You'll have to resize partition 2 to include the unpartitioned space to get it back.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Unfortunatley you cant move the start point of GUID partitons

In your position I would :-

a/ Backup everything important on both drives
b/ Erase partition 1
c/ clone partition 2 onto partition 1 using CCC
d/ remove partition 2 and resize partition 1
Jumpeyspyder