You are here

Mac Users : Parallels Desktop on External Drive?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac Users : Parallels Desktop on External Drive?

Postby james090 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 am

I know this is a Mac forum, and probably shouldn't talk about Windows things here, but this is specifically Mac, as its about Parallels Desktop (for Mac).

I am thinking of running a Windows partition, for very few bits and pieces, and tried PD15.
Looks great, but i had nothing but problems, running on 10.13.16 (supported) and my internal SSD.

So heard that you can run this ok, on an external drive? I am talking to Parallels now, but they seem vague, even though they do have help posts on the subject.

Does anyone here use PD15 in the real world?

If you can run from an External USB Drive, does it have to be a 'total Windows' drive or can it live alongside other Files and Mac programs, on say a 1TB Drive that has 700GB space (more than enough for Parallels!!)
Can it be run from a large USB Thumb drive, like 64GB or 128GB USB Stick? so i can plug'n'play as and when i need a Windows bootup?

Sorry for all the questions, but thought this would be a good forum as any to ask? :)
james090
Regular

Re: Mac Users : Parallels Desktop on External Drive?

Postby desmond » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm not on version 15, but I've been running Parallels on Macs for a long time, to access some necessary Windows stuff from time to time. I'm on 10.13.6 currently.

I've never had any problems, and I run mine from a disk image that sits on my regular MBP internal drive. But then I'm not trying to do performance intensive tasks or anything.

I don't see how which drive you run it from matters, apart from the throughput speed of the drive and whatever bus you're connecting through. You could put the drive image on a USB stick, but I can't imagine the performance would be very good.

Basically, I'd suggest to try out a variety of test configs and see which works for your needs best.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby james090 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks Desmond,

I only have an internal 128GB SSD with over 50% free, but when i installed on here, I had loads of problems, static scrambled screens, lock ups, freezes, and shut downs, just from the Windows side only.

I also thought that putting this on a separate drive altogether it wouldn't use up any space from my Mac HD or cause any 'bloat' from Windows and maybe iron out some problems?

It seems it maybe easier in a contained external HD, that I could unplug when i didn't need anything 'Windows' ?
james090
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm

james090 wrote:I only have an internal 128GB SSD with over 50% free, but when i installed on here, I had loads of problems, static scrambled screens, lock ups, freezes, and shut downs, just from the Windows side only.

Doesn't sound good! Like I say, I've never had any problems with running Win under Parallels (although I use Win7 for those things). Is this just a fresh installation of Windows?

james090 wrote:I also thought that putting this on a separate drive altogether it wouldn't use up any space from my Mac HD or cause any 'bloat' from Windows and maybe iron out some problems?

Probably just wishful thinking. The two environments shouldn't interfere at all, so I don't think that having the files stored on a different drive would make much difference to Parallel's virtualisation, but it's worth a try to get a stable system.

james090 wrote:It seems it maybe easier in a contained external HD, that I could unplug when i didn't need anything 'Windows' ?

Sure, if that's best for you. Give it a try...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio