You are here

What iPad?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

What iPad?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 am

I've had my iPad 4 now for about 5 years, it's getting a bit flakey, and isn't supported anymore. It's got all of my music apps on it, and I find it very useful for playing soft synths, I don't record on it.
I want to buy a new iPad, I'm going to use the old one for music, and the new one for every day stuff, I would like to put my music apps on the new one, but I'm not sure about how I go about transferring my user sounds in my apps, that's what scares me.
I'm also unsure about which model to get, bog standard, Air, or Pro?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: What iPad?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:42 am

I've just bought the base model 7th gen because it would do the things I wanted, which aren't very demanding actually so I can't advise on model. What I wanted to say was keep an eye on Amazon when they have sales. I got mine during their Black Friday sale for £299 (about the same as a 6th gen refurb from Apple).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Dave B » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

With iPads, it's a case of 'get the most powerful one you can afford at the time and then don't worry too much'. I still use my old iPad 2 for live work - it can run forScore and the various mixer apps I need so it's fine. If I ever absolutely need to upgrade, I'll run it as a permanent Animoog / Fairlight app system over usb. Which it will do fine.

I have an iPad Air (? 2 ??) which is now not supported under the very latest iOS, but, frankly, I'm not fussed. It still does plenty.

I recently smashed the screen on the '2' and was toying with splurging on a big iPad Pro - Chevytraveller has one and the apps are pretty darned awesome. I could have done a grey import from the US (I was over there at the time) but, in the end, decided not to. I'm a little tired of chasing updates just to keep Apple's cash reserves high. My kit does what I need it to do. Maybe next year I'll go for the big Pro with the keyboard as I plan to do a lot of typing in spare moments, but ... meh ... maybe not ...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Agharta » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:23 am

There's a 10% off code on ebay today which ends at 10:00, so combined with any already good deals that should be the cheapest way to buy.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 am

Dave B wrote:With iPads, it's a case of 'get the most powerful one you can afford at the time and then don't worry too much'. I still use my old iPad 2 for live work - it can run forScore and the various mixer apps I need so it's fine. If I ever absolutely need to upgrade, I'll run it as a permanent Animoog / Fairlight app system over usb. Which it will do fine.

I have an iPad Air (? 2 ??) which is now not supported under the very latest iOS, but, frankly, I'm not fussed. It still does plenty.

I recently smashed the screen on the '2' and was toying with splurging on a big iPad Pro - Chevytraveller has one and the apps are pretty darned awesome. I could have done a grey import from the US (I was over there at the time) but, in the end, decided not to. I'm a little tired of chasing updates just to keep Apple's cash reserves high. My kit does what I need it to do. Maybe next year I'll go for the big Pro with the keyboard as I plan to do a lot of typing in spare moments, but ... meh ... maybe not ...

:)

Dave, you mention that the "apps are awesome" on the Pro, does that mean they are different, or that you can buy different types of apps for the pro?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby C.LYDE » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am

I've been using Ver6 for awhile... and I really use it :smirk:

Korg Gadget + Cubasis + MOOG + all manner of other synths and drum machines... in fact the only reason I got an iPad was for the IOS music apps.

I would love to hear from users with the PRO version ... for example what is the maximum number of simultaneous GADGETS that can run on the PRO versus iPad6 or iPad7 before running out steam :?:
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby C.LYDE » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am

I've been using Ver6 for awhile... and I really use it :smirk:

Korg Gadget + Cubasis + MOOG + all manner of other synths and drum machines... in fact the only reason I got an iPad was for the IOS music apps.

I would love to hear from users with the PRO version ... for example what is the maximum number of simultaneous GADGETS that can run on the PRO versus iPad6 or iPad7 before running out steam :?:
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:45 am

My iPad v4 struggles and sometimes crashes when using Audiobus with a few instruments and effects, that's why I'd like to upgrade.
But I'm still wary of loosing all my sounds in the process. I have made a back-up on my i Mac, but I'm told that the older music apps may not be compatible with the latest Pads, so I'll have to download new ones, which won't have my sounds.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Got myself a new minimal-spec V6 a couple of weeks ago. I needed it as a replacement for my old V2 that I use as controller surface for such as my MKS-70, D-550, Integra-7, Omnisphere and others. The list of incompatible apps was growing daily, so I had to grudgingly upgrade. It works fine for what I need.

TBH I'm not much enamoured of iPads generally, and wouldn't think of use it for instruments or recording.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 pm

I think I'd agree with that. My new iPad, my first, is OK as a device but for ease of use and general usefulness quite honestly my Surface Pro 4 is better. Its only problem is appalling battery life.

The only reason I got the iPad is Zoom have only written control apps for that platform.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 pm

With iOS 13 the Files app can read USB drives and memory sticks connected with the USB camera kit. So you can archive older projects without buying additional iCloud storage.

So you might get away with saving money and not buying the maximum storage version.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 am

zenguitar wrote:With iOS 13 the Files app can read USB drives and memory sticks connected with the USB camera kit. So you can archive older projects without buying additional iCloud storage.

So you might get away with saving money and not buying the maximum storage version.

Andy :beamup:

Thanks, but I never store stuff on my iPad, I bought a 64gig, and only 7 gigs are used up! I'd just get a base 32 gig now.
I think I'm going to get an iPad Air, the Pro is unecassry for me, and I like the lightness of the Air.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:09 am

I've bought an iPad Air 64, nothing to see now, move along....

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)