You are here

PowerBook G4 - good grief it works!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

PowerBook G4 - good grief it works!

Postby IAA » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm

As we delve into corners of the house ready for our move, I saw at the bottom of a wardrobe ( one like you might see in a CS Lewis book), an old red neoprene cover with a PowerBook in it! :bouncy:

Well despite a million other things to do I pulled the adapter out (whoever stored it here obviously thought on a bit..) and powered it up. It’s the aluminum 15 inch with Tiger on it. I even (after the usual guesses) got the password, it’s lovely. Without wifi it runs quickly and flawlessly, once I log into WiFi I suspect that’s when it becomes moribund as it tries to work out who and what it is in the Apple universe (sort of like Ripley in Aliens 2 after cryogenic sleep).

So I’ll spare it that humiliation and browse some old logic 7 files from my first ever attempts at recording. So it got me thinking how much technology has moved on, but I’m not sure the efficiency trajectory ever kept pace.

Anyway just had to let you know cause I’ve got a big smile on my face that I’ve not had any time recently with our good friends at infinity loop.... :roll:
IAA
Regular

Re: PowerBook G4 - good grief it works!

Postby cyrano.mac » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Recently bought a DVD for the kids. Part of the DVD was transparent. Marketing at work. None of the Macs, nor one of the DVD players was able to read the disc. My son pulled out the old G4 and it could play this disk without a hitch.

It's the main reason we keep it around. It also was useful for configuring an old Airport Express, to play audio from it. Todays AP Express utility doesn't recognise older devices. And the hack to get it to work is no longer possible under current OSX. And occasionally, I need to read an old Filemaker Pro database. Of course, you need the appropriate version. The G4 has 4 different versions installed. It can read files up to FM Pro 5.5. Anything more recent requires Intel and is a real pita, as I usually need to install 3 different versions on 2 different systems.

Can't stop progress...
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby IAA » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Can't stop progress...

I know, I know, but...

Just listened to some old logic files, some running Camel Audio Alchemy! Firstly it sounds nice and secondly some riffs that are very re-useable.

I have to say the keyboard and the aqua look is really nice on Tiger, it’s a nice laptop, but you can see 2gb Ram and a 1.67 g4 care won’t last long in the real world anymore. Mrs IAA asks if it can still be used in the new studio..

Might just use the clown fish screensaver as mood lighting!
IAA
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Can’t stop "progress" !

But there is always that Mac trap - you finally get to know all the bugs (features?) in an OS and how they apply to your current machine. Everything is working well. But if you want to upgrade software instruments and some plugins they are now overloading the cores if they run at all on the older OS and hardware. If you upgrade you can lose some of the older software, instruments and plugs that worked so well.

Progress or 2 steps forward and 1 back? (I’m looking at you Logic Pro)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby cyrano.mac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:50 am

A while back I installed a G5 for a well known producer to use as a mastering DAW machine. He was so fed up with the fact that one of his essential plugins had been turned into a software store, including annoying popups, that he went back to a version from many years ago.
cyrano.mac
Regular