You are here

Waves thinks my Catalina is version 0.0

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Waves thinks my Catalina is version 0.0

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:00 am

So I downloaded the version on Waves Website, now it says my Home folder has a different name than my OS Folder, and does not recommend I continue. Apple help says changing the name can result in my being locked out of my computer.

What am I doing here. I should be chasing that idea I had before the muse was battered out of me by some combination of nonsense programming and protective access.

I remember this happening decades ago when some version of something reached 10.00 have these programmers learned nothing over the years.

Yeah I know I'm a grumpy old git, but seriously....
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Waves thinks my Catalina is version 0.0

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 am

I transferred my Waves Licenses to a USB flash drive. (using a different Mac) They are on the flash drive definitely. However Waves still works on my Catalina, without the License USB being plugged in. BUT when I plug the license USB into my iMac, and run my DAW, Waves stuff doesnt show up. I could re-install the Waves things onto the iMac BUT Waves Central says it will Install and Activate the plugins on the iMac.

Hang on, If I activate them on the iMac will they disappear off the MBP Catalina?

I thought having the licenses on a USB drive would mean I could use Waves Plugins on any of my Macs as long as I inserted the USB?

Yes the USB is formatted with FAT 32 as dictated by Waves Central.

Lost, bewildered, stumped, fighting spurious messages from MBP such as "No Windows Available" when trying to load Reason 11, and from Waves Central "OS name is different from ... well you get the picture.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:45 am

'Struth! It's beginning to sound as if you did something to piss off Tim Cook something rotten and his company is devoting serious time to ensuring everything Mac doesn't "just work" for you. Now they've roped Waves into the operation. I'm afraid sympathy is all I can offer.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:'Struth! It's beginning to sound as if you did something to piss off Tim Cook something rotten and his company is devoting serious time to ensuring everything Mac doesn't "just work" for you. Now they've roped Waves into the operation. I'm afraid sympathy is all I can offer.

CC

Well I fear most of this "Bad Luck" is really me being left behind in the Hi-Tech world of computers (and mobile phones which I also have endless problems with) I have 5 operational Mac computers used for different things, and I daren't update the OS on most of them unless I have to, so diagnosis isn't obvious.

But If I can ask one question of the experts here it would be "How does one let the DAW know that Waves Licenses are on the USB Drive, so it can show me the plugins?"

Maybe it's supposed to show the plugins (like the others such as Arturia) but not let you run them if it cant see the license - Like T-Racks for example It loads all the variants but only lets you run the one you bought

One other odd thing. There are only 3 Waves things showing up. Racks you can load plugins into. The plugins don't show up in the normal way BUT I can load them individually into the rack from the rack menu! In the rack menu I see all the plugins I have bought!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster