You are here

Mackie desk, Mini Mac and Core Audio

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mackie desk, Mini Mac and Core Audio

Postby PeteVicary » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi

I am new to this site but I wonder if someone could help me. I currently use a Mackie Onyx 1620i desk with built in audio interface connected to my 10 year old Mac Pro running Logic X via Firewire.

I am going to upgrade my computer in the new year to a top of the range Mac mini. My question is: If I also buy the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire converter lead to go between the Mac & Mackie, will my computer still automatically recognise the desk as Core Audio. Basically, I really want to continue using my desk.

Regards

Pete
PeteVicary

Re: Mackie desk, Mini Mac and Core Audio

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi and welcome to SOS Forum.

The definitive answer on this would probably come from forum member desmond but your new Mac Mini would come with the latest macOS (Catalina) installed.

As far as I am aware, the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter will still work fine under Catalina, and if the Mackie is indeed using Core Audio (and not a dedicated driver), your new Mac Mini should recognise it as an interface.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby zenguitar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:31 pm

You need to check on the Mackie site. Support for earlier generations of their FireWire devices stopped several versions of Mac OS back. They have a handy table on their support pages listing driver support for each model and OS’s.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:39 pm

I thought the onyx drivers had been abandoned too so defo worth checking.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:41 pm

If the Onyx is a class compliant device (i.e. doesn't need specific drivers to be installed) I should have thought it would work without any issue.

CC

Edit: just had a look at the manual for the 1620i and it says "Mac OS X contains built-in drivers, so no software installation is required". So I think you're home and dry.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Edit: just had a look at the manual for the 1620i and it says "Mac OS X contains built-in drivers, so no software installation is required". So I think you're home and dry.

That's what I was trying to say. :)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby slouchedoverogre » Sat May 09, 2020 1:59 am

did it work? i just got an onyx 1620 with the firewire card and got the firewire to thunderbolt adapter , but the computer doesnt see the interface.
IM SAD!
slouchedoverogre

Postby al_diablo » Tue May 12, 2020 3:20 pm

As I understand it- There are 2 variants of the mackie desk. One has serial numbers starting with 204 and is class compliant, the other with 003 and is not.

I've read reports from people who are using the 204 serial number models with thunderbolt adapters and no issue.

I bought one second hand hoping to get firewire working but although it works perfectly as a mixer it doesnt show up as an interface. The previous owner had the same issue so I think my particular one that has a broken firewire card.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby jrags » Thu May 21, 2020 12:25 am

slouchedoverogre wrote:did it work? i just got an onyx 1620 with the firewire card and got the firewire to thunderbolt adapter , but the computer doesnt see the interface.
IM SAD!

What adaptor did you get to convert firewire 400 to thunderbolt? I've got a 003 serial number and want to give it a shot, but I can't even find an adapter.

I also found this knowledgebase article, but reading it seems to think that the 003 serial number is the newer model.
jrags

Postby jrags » Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 am

I actually did it. Here's the gear flow:

Mackie 1220i (30 serial number)
--> Firewire 800 to 400 cable
--> Other World Computing Thunderbolt 2 Dock
--> Thunderbolt 2 cable
--> iMac 2015 running MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Audio goes in and out of the computer and mixer just fine. No drivers or software hacks needed!
jrags