You are here

Samsung Portable SSD T5 2 TB USB 3.1 External SSD - Anyone got experience using?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Samsung Portable SSD T5 2 TB USB 3.1 External SSD - Anyone got experience using?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm interested in buying a few of this product from Amazon for use with a MBP / LPX environment:

Samsung Portable SSD T5 2 TB USB 3.1 External SSD (see link below)

While many of the reviews of the item are good, 5% of them are 1-star - and almost all of those refer to poor usage with a Mac. Just wondering if anyone using it can comment on how well it works for you for Mac Music making; and what its performance and reliability in general is?

Thanks.

Amazon UK link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Portab ... J86YFZVTBX
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Samsung Portable SSD T5 2 TB USB 3.1 External SSD - Anyone got experience using?

Postby IAA » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 pm

I use a couple of these for external samples, make sure they’re formatted properly for Mac and you’re good to go. They are speedy and I’ve never had an issue with them.

I run Mojave on an iMac
IAA
Regular

Re: Samsung Portable SSD T5 2 TB USB 3.1 External SSD - Anyone got experience using?

Postby Kwackman » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Looking at the poor mac reviews, it seems these people were trying to use the Samsung software that came with the drive. You used to get similar software on new USB keys too. But, ignore the Samsung software, reformat the drive as a Mac drive using Disc Utility and there won't be the Samsung software issues any more.

Hopefully someone with more experience will confirm, (cough Desmond, are you out there?) before you press the "buy" button.

[EDIT IAA got int there first, and as he has experience of these drives, you're looking good!]
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby IAA » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:19 pm

But, ignore the Samsung software, reformat the drive as a Mac drive using Disc Utility and there won't be the Samsung software issues any more.

This.
Mac OS extended
IAA
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm

As already posted, ditch the Samsung software and format in the Mac.

This is what I did and my T5 works perfectly with Reaper, Audition etc. But I am also staying two OS behind, on purpose.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Kevin Nolan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Fantastic! Thanks a million for your answers. I understand now!

Very much appreciated, and wishing you all great music making through 2020 :-)

Very best,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:51 pm

and wishing you all great music making through 2020 :-)

And you too Kevin :thumbup:
IAA
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm

I see the drive has a USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface. That's important and good. The USB C ports on Macs do Gen 2 and I can say from experience that Samsung SSDs fly in that combination. Tbolt3, of course, is even faster but going by the published figures you're paying an awful lot of money for not that much extra performance. Gen 2 gives good value for money in performance terms right now.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:42 pm

I've no experience with the samsung, but all the comments above are right. Format it and it'll probably be fine.

I use a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (link below) and I've done 64 channel live recording with it, so just thought I'd shove a alternative into the mix!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Guido3 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:44 am

I’ll echo all the points above. I have a 1TB T5 with all my sample libraries on. It’s really quick providing it’s formatted for Mac correctly.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby degraye » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 am

I have several and have used them since they came out, began using them for video work, but now I use them for everything including Logic & Reason. They are either used with a Mac Pro 2013 or the new Macbook Pro 16".
Quite fast and reliable, never had any problems - quite handy to carry around too.

As others said above, the key is to format them for Mac OS and here I can add a little tip, I always use the option with encryption when formatting.

Haven't noticed any speed difference and it feels reassuring having them encrypted :)
degraye
Poster

Postby johnny h » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 pm

Yes, works perfectly
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)