You are here

Pro Tools -> iLok Server License Not Found

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Pro Tools -> iLok Server License Not Found

Postby dbfs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:23 am

Hi,

I am trying to setup Pro Tools in an educational facility and have gotten the Pro Tools multi seat asset on my iLok, but am informed by the iLok app that there is no license for the iLok Server which will be needed to run the iLok server to authorise all the workstation in the room.

According to the iLok guide
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ilok-com/iLokL ... rGuide.pdf
iLok Server License Required
Running a license server requires that you have a 2nd generation iLok with a license for an iLok product called iLok Server* plugged in to the computer that is acting as your server. One license is required per computer that is set up as a license server.
*Licenses for iLok Server may be purchased from the software company that sold you the
multi-seat sharable software license.

So, iLok don't provide it and Avid did not provide it and I cannot see any option to buy it on the avid website so I am at a loss.

Any advise appreciated.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: Pro Tools -> iLok Server License Not Found

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am

Easy - use Reaper or Logic.

(Sorry to be a smartarse, but that is the choice many, many professionals are making nowadays. The only people I know that are still using PT, are doing so because it is either written into their contracts or are still tied into a SaaS contract. Other forums are filled with people who are having the same problems that you are facing. We have an old PT system and it began being a PITA with its confounded verification dongle from day one.)
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:21 am

Can't help with the specific problem, but I will say that I've also had many problems with iLok in the past and won't touch anything now that requires it.

And PT isn't a must - just use something else.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby dbfs » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi Guys,

I know, I know, I know and I agree with all you said, I never use it myself and it was not my call in this situation.

Problem was as I suspected that I was missing a server license. I had to get one from vendor in the end.

Hole in the head sort of stuff when you are trying to get a room setup.

Oh well.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby dbfs » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi folks,

Just a further update, We did get the Pro Tools install and server activation sorted, BUT there is no way that we can get the UVI Falcon plugin authorised using the server.

I have had an Avid support guy connect remotely to the machine and he took a few screenshots and said, Oh it looks like a licensing issue. Since then nothing has happened. I foolishly hoped that since this was a multiseat education order that they would be delighted that more suckers would be using Pro Tools and that they might even help to resolve the issues to keep up the charade. But no, they do nothing except wait for the next subscription payment.

My advice for anybody considering getting buying Pro Tools for education is to Run, Run and keeping Running.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 am

I think that must go for anything Avid touches, for instance [hawl, spit] Sibelius.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.