You are here

Views on current Mac Mini for use with Logic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Views on current Mac Mini for use with Logic

Postby Chromeman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm about to finally retire my Mac Pro 3.1 and for ages just thought upgrade to a 12 core 5.1 but they are on average over £1k and although they can run Mojave with a metal graphics card anything later is probably going to require a hack so although I love the Cheesegrater as a from factor it doesn't seem a sensible investment in 2020 for a 10 year old machine. Looking at the current Mac mini i7, they seem pretty decent in terms of benchmark scores. Just wondered if anybody is using one and what your experience is. I'm thinking of an i7 with minimum Ram (8Gb) which I'll upgrade myself and a 512Gb SSD at £1400 or so.
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Views on current Mac Mini for use with Logic

Postby rACed2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 am

Double check the upgradability of the RAM and SSD on the mini you are looking at. Various models have soldered RAM and the SSD upgrade can be very complex.
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Postby Dryjoy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am

RAM is upgradable, but I believe quite fiddly and voids your warrantee. SSD is not - but there’s loads of connectivity for external drives. If you get one, think about disabling external boot protection, as the SSD is soldered to the motherboard, so should that fail in future it would need the whole board replacing. I’ve disabled external boot protection, so if it does fail I can fallback on an external drive.

I’m very happy with mine for Logic now, way more powerful than my old Mac Pro, but I did have some serious issues to start with. These turned out to be caused by my external HD enclosure. See my thread for more info.

Also research the issue with the T2 chip and USB 2 audio. These seem to have been resolved now and certainly aren’t an issue with my USB2 interface - although at one point I thought my issue might have been caused by that - but worth being aware of.

I’d conclude by recommending the Mac mini.
Dryjoy
Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Following this with interest, as I'm looking at a similar purchase. Been using a 2011 Mini since new, but it's getting creaky and my other Mini from the same time has keeled over. I replaced that one with an iMac last year, but the price of the new Minis seems much closer to the iMac than they used to.

The point about being able to fit your own RAM is a good one, Apple charge about £180 for 16GB putting in, whereas you can get way more than that for less money if you buy elsewhere and fit it yourself.

I'm also looking at a chain of adapters to keep my much-loved A&H Zed R16 in use, and just spent 80 quid on a TB3-TB2 and TB2-FW800 adapters. Hurray!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Dryjoy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:33 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I replaced that one with an iMac last year, but the price of the new Minis seems much closer to the iMac than they used to.

That is true. I think they have been repositioned, they’re no longer positioned as a cheap point of entry into Mac-land, but as quite a powerful machine for creative work, with plenty of options for external expandability.
Dryjoy
Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 am

I transitioned from a 2012 2.3 GHz quad i7 Mini to a 3.2 6-core Mini.

It is a powerhouse.

I still have to transition to TB for my interface and storage.

Currently running a silver-face Apollo over FW800.

There are two Logic Benchmarks at Gearslutz that use Logic effects and instruments as a CPU stress test.

The new Mini will suit me for many years.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby forumuser936783 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:34 am

Chromeman wrote:I'm about to finally retire my Mac Pro 3.1 and for ages just thought upgrade to a 12 core 5.1 but they are on average over £1k and although they can run Mojave with a metal graphics card anything later is probably going to require a hack so although I love the Cheesegrater as a from factor it doesn't seem a sensible investment in 2020 for a 10 year old machine. Looking at the current Mac mini i7, they seem pretty decent in terms of benchmark scores. Just wondered if anybody is using one and what your experience is. I'm thinking of an i7 with minimum Ram (8Gb) which I'll upgrade myself and a 512Gb SSD at £1400 or so.

I replaced my Mac Book Pro with a supercharged Mac Mini i7, 32 gig ram, 6 core, 1 TB SSD. The MacMini isn't cheap but its very powerful running Logic, UA Apollo and various plugins. For now, its about 1/3 of the price of similarly configured New Mac Pro and a way smaller foot print. I don't need lots of cards. Also added a non apple large screen monitor. Also use external SSD TB drives and a port expander. The mac mini runs quiet but gets hot due to its hear sync . So far very happy with it.
forumuser936783