You are here

I want to wipe my macbook but not lose any of my plugins or software etc?!?!? Help

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

I want to wipe my macbook but not lose any of my plugins or software etc?!?!? Help

Postby Kobeisthebest » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:30 am

Kobeisthebest

Re: I want to wipe my macbook but not lose any of my plugins or software etc?!?!? Help

Postby MOF » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:35 am

If it’s an Apple program such as Logic that will be downloadable onto another or the same computer that’s registered to you.
Third party plugins will have to be de-authorised/uninstalled to the cloud or a USB memory stick. iLok protected programs stay on there and are recognised on the next computer it’s plugged into.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: I want to wipe my macbook but not lose any of my plugins or software etc?!?!? Help

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:55 pm

Once you've wiped your Mac are you planning on restoring from Time Machine or reainstalling everything afresh? If the former it shouldn't be a problem. If the latter then I'm afraid there's no silver bullet - you're just going to have to read the documentation for each application/plugin and find out how to do it in each case. There's no magic software that will do it for you and there's no standardisation across apps/plugins. I did this last year and you'll need to set aside days for the whole operation. Sorry.

One thing that's worth doing is to use something like Superduper to make a duplicate of your hard drive so if you find you've missed copying anything you can retrieve it from the duplicate drive. Advance planning is everything in this sort of operation.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby audio mixing online » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am

Whatever you do make sure that you check all of your plugin authorisations - if you reformat the machine id might change and the licence won't be valid, so be sure depending on plugin vendor to de-register the machine ( Ableton, etc) or move the licence ( Waves) to the appropriate licence manager if there is one. Good luck!
audio mixing online
life is too short for bad sounding records
audio mixing online