You are here

iMac storage/streaming dilemma?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iMac storage/streaming dilemma?

Postby james090 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm in a slight dilemma so may need some help from you good Mac people.

I have an iMac 2011, i5, 16GB Memory, internal 128GB SSD and it runs fine on MacOS 10.13.16 (High Sierra), even though it is old and a little long in the tooth now I guess.

I run many Kontakt Libraries, with Ableton and Reaper quite well on this, and due to the small internal 128GB SSD for programs, I use 2 x FW800 drives externally for my Libraries.

The thing is these drives are old now, so am thinking of what to do as an alternative storage/streaming version that maybe better or a little quicker while I have everything working, and its all ok.

The pro's for this iMac, are it keeps up, it still has the Digital Optical Out on the headphone (which i use daily), and it has the FW800 (currently ok for this drive streaming situation)
But I believe this model only had USB2.0 and not 3.0, so thats a pain as USB2.0 would be half the speed I guess, of FW800.

What would you suggest with regards getting an external SSD (2TB) to run my 1TB of libraries, plus any future storage, to run on an iMac like this? and that maybe compatible if i was eventually to get a newer Mac in future?
I can only see the FW800 route, but know this is still a 'spinning' drive and is being phased out of the newer Apple Mac's, and it looks like USB2.0 is too slow?
It does have a Thunderbolt port, but that doubles as a MiniDisplay Port for a 2nd Monitor which works great..

I have thought of upgrading but to a newer iMac or MBP is quite an expense obviously, and if this carried on, I could probably keep this particular iMac as a 'sounds machine' with all its libraries, regardless of OS upgrades, and run it with the
'if it aint broke don't fix it mentality', so a good storage and streaming solution would be welcome if its going to stick around for the foreseeable future?

Thank you for any help.
james090
Regular