You are here

Mainstage 3 sustain pedal issue

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mainstage 3 sustain pedal issue

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Can anyone help with this? I know what's causing the problem, but not the solution....

I'm playing a theatre show this week using MS3, controlled by a Yamaha Clavinova with built-in sustain pedal.

Sometimes, the sound is sustaining when I lift off the pedal. Looking at the midi analysis, it seems the Clavinova pedal is sometimes returning to a midi message of 4, 5 or 6 instead of zero, and takes several presses to return to 0 and therefore stop the sound!

Is there any kind of midi transformer in MS3, for example to programme it to treat a midi value under, say, 10, as zero??!

Many thanks,

Daniel
DanielBeach
Poster

Re: Mainstage 3 sustain pedal issue

Postby desmond » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:09 pm

Yes, you could do it with a MIDI FX plugin.

The best would be a little script with the MIDi Scripter plugin - this would be pretty easy to implement.

You might be able to use the Modifier MIDI plugin, by playing with the Scale and Add options to get the value that work for you - setting both the Input and Reassign events to CC64, and probably scaling up something like 105% or so might do the trick... You might need to Add a -10 offset or so additionally.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 pm

DanielBeach wrote:Sometimes, the sound is sustaining when I lift off the pedal. Looking at the midi analysis, it seems the Clavinova pedal is sometimes returning to a midi message of 4, 5 or 6 instead of zero, and takes several presses to return to 0 and therefore stop the sound!

This sounds likely to be a hardware issue. I did a quick search and saw a few mentions of Clavinova pedals playing up for various reasons (mainly due to age I think).

A script or plugin seems like a good short term practical workaround but a better longer term solution could be as simple as cleaning out the mechanism as best you can. Maybe some accumulated fluff or hardened grease is preventing the mechanical movement completing fully enough to reset the sensor such that it emits the 0, especially as it seems to be getting very close to it.

There are a few videos on youtube of people opening the case and doing various things to the pedals in Clavinovas so if you feel up to taking a look inside it for yourself that might not be a bad idea also.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby DanielBeach » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Dear both,

Apologies for the delay, but many thanks for the replies.

Desmond - you solved it! I had to fiddle a little with the controls, and of course copy the midi effect to dozens of instruments (!) but it saved the day.

As for the clavinova pedal - the keyboard was provided by the school I was playing the show for, and I just had to make the best of it in the situation.

Daniel
DanielBeach
Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm

DanielBeach wrote:Desmond - you solved it! I had to fiddle a little with the controls, and of course copy the midi effect to dozens of instruments (!) but it saved the day.

Great! Glad it worked for your needs - thanks for posting back. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio