You are here

2020 Mac Pro

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

2020 Mac Pro

Postby paulbaggott » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm

I am in the fortunate position to be able to buy a new 2020 Mac Pro very shortly.

A lot of my current software will not be compatible with Catalina or even available any more (Ozone 5 for example).

I am wondering if it is possible and wise to clone my current system drive to the new Mac using something like Super Duper?
paulbaggott
Regular

Re: 2020 Mac Pro

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm

No, old OS's don't support modern hardware and won't work.

You'll need to move to Catalina, and upgrade whatever incompatible or old software you have...

You could virtualise your old system of course, but you'll need Catalina as the main system.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby paulbaggott » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 pm

Thanks Desmond.

I was advised by Apple that I could do a clean install of Sierra which is what I'm using now.

Which is why I thought cloning my current system drive might be a solution.

But you say Sierra wouldn't run on a new Mac Pro?

Paul
paulbaggott
Regular

Postby degraye » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi Paul,

No Mac can run an OS that pre-dates the one it shipped with (out of the box). The only way to do that would be with a virtual machine as mentioned above, but then it might not support all hardware functions.
degraye
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 pm

paulbaggott wrote:I was advised by Apple that I could do a clean instal of Sierra which is what I'm using now.
Which is why I thought cloning my current system drive might be a solution.

Well, there's no problem trying a test install of Sierra on a different drive, but it certainly isn't going to support many of the new hardware features, and your old copy of Sierra won't have the necessary drivers and other things to make it work, so even if it boots, there's no guarantee you are running it properly or efficiently.

paulbaggott wrote:But you say Sierra wouldn't run on a new Mac Pro?

You're better off asking people who have one, but I think it's very unlikely, and I seriously don't recommend it.

Seriously, you're getting a swanky new machine, what's the point of hobbling it with old legacy stuff? It sounds like a great opportunity to clean house, start with a fresh system, update old software, leave some behind if necessary, and enjoy your super-powerful dream machine.

If you can run to a MP, I'm sure you can find the funds to upgrade from Ozone 5 to Ozone 9... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby paulbaggott » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 am

Ha. There's the rub. After spending as much as a small car costs there will be no money left.

I do have Ozone 7 which is compatible.

I was just trying to avoid too much disruption to my work flow of which Oz 5 is a large part.

There seems to be precious little from musicians/producers out there on the new MP. Only that it's too powerful and expensive. I agree with the latter but can you have too much power? Who knows what will happen in the next ten years.

Anyway, I'm going to take the plunge come what may.

Is SOS doing a review sometime do you know?

Thank you for your valuable help and advice.

Paul
paulbaggott
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 am

paulbaggott wrote:Anyway, I'm going to take the plunge come what may.

Definitely pleasure to be had from having more cycles at your disposal than you could ever possibly need. That's how I felt when I got my iMac Pro. I've never run it anywhere near its limits since but it does feel very cool* sitting there in front of me.

CC

* Very good cooling system, you know.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Just being discussing this with my motion graphics designer mate, he has a several year old iMac Pro which still does the business* and I am running it's 2008 predecessor as my studio machine. Mac's ain't perfect but they are pretty good and remain so for a long time.

* Regularly maxed out with video renders taking a few hours at a time.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby paulbaggott » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Just producing music for me.

I looked at the iMac Pro.

But the screen is surplus to my requirements. It looks lovely though.

One of the things I would like is not to have to run hungry software instruments multitimbrally. Using FX that I am familiar with on each instance on its own track is going to be liberating.
paulbaggott
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Paul,

As a Mac fanboy and user since 1984, I find it hard to post this link, but Production Expert blog site recently posted an article from their contributor Dan Cooper, where he cites his reasons for giving up on Apple (being a cheese grater owner himself) and moving to a powerful PC for a fraction of the cost.

Worth reading: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/11/28/cant-afford-the-new-apple-mac-pro-71-for-your-studio-consider-a-powerful-windows-computer-for-under-3000-instead

There's also an insightful video on the PE site with a real-world 2020 Mac Pro install. See here: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2020/2/3/apple-mac-pro-71-case-study-now-integrated-into-the-studio
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,065 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 pm

paulbaggott wrote:Is SOS doing a review sometime do you know?

It's never been easy to get loan machines out of Apple...

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,065 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby paulbaggott » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:19 pm

Thanks for that link.

As you say, it was an interesting and slightly mournful article.

From what I understand his relief will come from not having to use Pro Tools (though, in fairness I've never used it).

I'm Logic through and through (20 years give or take). Though I'm not keen on Apple as a company along with many others.

I don't use any outboard gear, had enough of that thankyou. I don't need to fit any extra cards and see no need to in the future. My relationship with computers is akin to that with cars. I don't want to know how they work, I don't want to fix them, all I want to do is drive them.

How about I write an 'out of the box, into the studio' article? From the perspective of a working producer but non-expert sharing his experiences of planning, buying, unboxing, installing, and using a new Mac Pro?

Don't worry, I've already offered and been turned down by editorial ha.

Paul
paulbaggott
Regular