You are here

Logic re-freezing tracks when opening old projects

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic re-freezing tracks when opening old projects

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Logic Pro X has started behaving oddly. Whenever I open a project ancient or recent, it freezes tracks without me asking it to. (Freezing in the sense of track freeze to save CPU etc not crashing). Literally go to open file and as it opens it tells me it's freezing some tracks, presumably the ones in the project that were frozen before? No idea why it would suddenly start doing this, it's a right pita. Any ideas how to solve?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic re-freezing tracks when opening old projects

Postby MOF » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Unfreeze the tracks that you originally froze and re-save the song.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 pm

OK, but I can't go through every project I've ever done. I wonder what the issue is? These are projects I haven't opened for like 4 years, some of them?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby MOF » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:11 pm

You only have to do it once, as and when you open each song. When you needed to freeze songs (I presume you have a fast enough computer now and don't need to) that was what happened each time you clicked 'play', it would run through the song (without audio as it rendered those tracks) and then played the song.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Same computer same setup. Just suddenly started this strange behaviour for no apparent reason. Most odd.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm not sure offhand, but frozen tracks will need refreezing if there are no freeze tracks in the project (ie, the frozen audio files are missing), or possibly something's changed (eg, the frozen tracks were done with the engine set to 32-bit, and now the engine is set to 64-bit mode, so Logic says "Ok, those freeze files are invalid now, let's re-freeze".). Or maybe the plugin version has changed since the file was initially frozen. There are likely a few reasons to invalidate existing reeze files.

There will be *some* reason that's causing this behaviour, as otherwise, I've opened projects from long ago with freeze files are the projects play as they should without re-freezing anything.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Ah, I guess plugin changes/updates might be an issue with old files, yes or even Logic updates I suppose. Good thinking!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:43 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Ah, I guess plugin changes/updates might be an issue with old files, yes or even Logic updates I suppose. Good thinking!

Of course it could be that it froze because it noticed the size of your longjohns ...

<coat/>
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.