You are here

Top tip for all Logic Pro users....!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Top tip for all Logic Pro users....!!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:06 pm

You may all know this, but I stumbled across this when I was googling something entirely different...

...if you click on the thin grey bar below the Settings button in the inspector, Logic automatically loads a compressor in! Just like if you click the mini EQ display just below to get an instant channel EQ. I had no idea about this quick compressor thing but apologies if you've all being using it for years!

(What I was googling was, what are the colour settings for in the Tracks preferences...static and Auto Progress 24 and 96?????)
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Top tip for all Logic Pro users....!!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:19 pm

Unless things have changed you're limited to Logic's own compressor, otherwise I'd use this feature. I particularly like the lightweight display of what the compressor is doing and wish it could be implemented for non-Apple compressors.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:...if you click on the thin grey bar below the Settings button in the inspector, Logic automatically loads a compressor in! Just like if you click the mini EQ display just below to get an instant channel EQ. I had no idea about this quick compressor thing but apologies if you've all being using it for years!?)

That's the mini compressor gain reduction meter, and yes, if you don't have a comp inserted, it will do it for you. As you say, it works in the same way as the mini EQ display.

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:(What I was googling was, what are the colour settings for in the Tracks preferences...static and Auto Progress 24 and 96?????)

Presumably, your obvious first port of call was the manual...
https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10. ... cp8e0207b2

:tongue: :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Unless things have changed you're limited to Logic's own compressor, otherwise I'd use this feature. I particularly like the lightweight display of what the compressor is doing and wish it could be implemented for non-Apple compressors.

Yes, that would be nice, but tricky to do as third-party compressors would need to report the GR metering levels back to Logic somehow...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby IAA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 pm

You learn something on this forum for sure! I never knew the colour function, I kind of skimmed past that when I was grappling with midi functions back in the day. Thanks gents, now going to change it on my template.
:D
IAA
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Presumably, your obvious first port of call was the manual...
https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10. ... cp8e0207b2

Deep, deep shame. :oops: :blush: :oops:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Unless things have changed you're limited to Logic's own compressor

Do you not use Logic's array of marvellous compressors at all, then, CC?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm

In its latest iteration Logic's own compressor in its various flavours looks thoroughly competent. Unfortunately over the years I've gotten very used to my favourite UAD compressors (in particular the LA-2A and LA-3) and don't really want to change.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:54 pm

desmond wrote:Yes, that would be nice, but tricky to do as third-party compressors would need to report the GR metering levels back to Logic somehow...

Apple would need to provide an API for that and make it known to external developers like UAD for that to happen and on past form I'm not holding my breath.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster