You are here

New MBP Review in SOS

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New MBP Review in SOS

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:03 am

What a glowing review!

One of the "Key Attractions" listed was the set of 4 Thunderbolt ports. :) Obviously he didn't try connecting them to anything, which doubles the footprint of the thing, and causes power problems if 2 or more of them are heavy on the juice. Of course that problem may be restricted (among many other problems) to the earlier (by 3 months in my case) version. The sound is good, but would you seriously use it for checking mixes in the studio? The price is carefully listed at 2399, but we are reminded of the "game" on the online store where the minimum price is on the biggest ticket, however the review model costs in excess of six thousand pounds. The omission in the Cons section, I would argue, is that in 3 months time, any faults in this machine will be rectified by the release of a "better model" and the customer can eat that or whatever, because Apple will not give a fig. This actually happened to the reviewer (as well as me and countless others) but he cheerfully eats it.

Ho hum!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: New MBP Review in SOS

Postby johnny h » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Always check the rumours before buying any Apple products. The 16” was very widely expected.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:13 pm

johnny h wrote:Always check the rumours before buying any Apple products. The 16” was very widely expected.

I have bought my last Apple Mac. There are much better (and way cheaper) machines. But yes, I agree if you must buy a Mac, then sift through the chatter. It's by no means the first time I've been caught out by Apple, but it is certainly the last.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby johnny h » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
johnny h wrote:Always check the rumours before buying any Apple products. The 16” was very widely expected.

I have bought my last Apple Mac. There are much better (and way cheaper) machines.
Than the 16"? I'm yet to find a machine that combines low weight, high performance and high battery life that also chucks in an incredible screen, great sound and beautiful aesthetics. Either they're poorly built MacBook knockoffs or huge gamer monsters with terrible battery life.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:40 am

johnny h wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:

I have bought my last Apple Mac. There are much better (and way cheaper) machines.
Than the 16"? I'm yet to find a machine that combines low weight, high performance and high battery life that also chucks in an incredible screen, great sound and beautiful aesthetics. Either they're poorly built MacBook knockoffs or huge gamer monsters with terrible battery life.

Even if that were remotely true, they would be reliable, quiet, and the software would work. Catalina still defeats Steinberg as we speak. More informed sources than I have published concern that the latest Macs are overpriced and under performers compared with some of the competition, especially in the realm of professional graphics systems.

I know I am moaning again, but really, lets be honest, out here in the sticks, the rumour mills are not something I frequent, and to do so would not really bear much fruit. You never know when the latest Macs will be available here, and when they are the import duty is enormous. Now to outlay a considerable amount of cash on my 2019 15" MBP with an 8 core i9 and massive memory etc. only to find many problems ranging from dongles that do not work with thunderbolt, to USB things that stop working when HDMI is plugged in to the same hub, red hot hubs, noisy fans and a keyboard that only just trumps a ZX Spectrum, - well it's disappointing, despite the protestations of the Apple aficionados.

Has anyone at all noticed that nearly all the Mac problem pages on the tinter web publish all the questions begging for answers, and the most common response is "I have the same problem" Apple certainly never makes an appearance, and questions are answered too infrequently. It's a case of Sort it out amongst yourselves boys and girls.

I have a mid 2011 iMac with 8GB and a 2.8GHz Intel i7 processor and it gets switched on in preference to the new MBP every time.

So for me, reading a glowing review of the machine I thought I was buying pretty recently, is a bit annoying. What is the second hand value of the thing I did buy, and which largely resides in the spares box?

Rant definitely over.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote: Catalina still defeats Steinberg as we speak.

Eh?
My (new to me) second hand mac-mini has Catalina, and it's been running Cubase fine since I got it a few weeks ago.
Maybe I'm lucky?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby johnny h » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote: More informed sources than I have published concern that the latest Macs are overpriced and under performers compared with some of the competition, especially in the realm of professional graphics systems.
Like I said, I've looked, and I can't find anything with high performance, low weight and great battery life, let alone with comparable build quality and screen. I don't care about big thirsty graphics cards.
I know I am moaning again, but really, lets be honest, out here in the sticks, the rumour mills are not something I frequent, and to do so would not really bear much fruit.
They still have internet access out there in the sticks. You never know when the latest Macs will be available here
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

You're welcome!
dongles that do not work with thunderbolt, to USB things that stop working when HDMI is plugged in to the same hub, red hot hubs, noisy fans and a keyboard that only just trumps a ZX Spectrum, - well it's disappointing, despite the protestations of the Apple aficionados.
Apple put the old keyboard back in and got rid of the crappy toy one thank god. I hate it. Also they've upgraded the cooling system so it can run much faster on the same hardware.
So for me, reading a glowing review of the machine I thought I was buying pretty recently, is a bit annoying. What is the second hand value of the thing I did buy, and which largely resides in the spares box?

Rant definitely over.
If you dont use it, sell it. You'll have the twin benefit of having some of your money back and also not wasting time complaining about it every other day on this forum!
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:33 pm

"If you dont use it, sell it. You'll have the twin benefit of having some of your money back and also not wasting time complaining about it every other day on this forum!"

I don't need to sell it. it may come in handy as a heater if it gets cold this winter, it's resale value is next to worthless anyway, and I'd feel guilty foisting it on someone else.

This forum describes itself as being to advise new and existing Mac users. So if you don't mind I will speak as I find. I own and use five Mac's right now, so I'm qualified to express my opinion here, if you don't like it, don't read it, - otherwise you are wasting your own time.

My Cubase also works fine with Catalina, but Nuendo does not. You haven't heard of Nuendo I suppose?

Apple consistently ignore their user base because their user base is mainly ultra loyal and they will buy whatever Apple throw at them. The sycophantic twaddle you recommend I consult when I want to buy a computer is for those people. I respectfully decline.

I'm not by any means an isolated complainer - there are a lot of unhappy users - foe example see -
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence ... 089d9a1035
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:51 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:My Cubase also works fine with Catalina, but Nuendo does not. You haven't heard of Nuendo I suppose?

I have thanks.
But you said "Catalina still defeats Steinberg as we speak".
As Cubase is their main product, I thought I'd chime in in case someone reading your comments thought that Cubase won't work with Catalina.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby MOF » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Two friends of mine have the 15”MBP 6 core i9 with 32GB of memory. Apart from having to buy a USB C to USB 2 interface for usb dongles etc they’ve had no problems, they use them with external Thunderbolt monitors at home and the MBP screen comes in handy as an extra monitor. I don’t think they’ve upgraded to Catalina yet.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:08 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:"If you dont use it, sell it. You'll have the twin benefit of having some of your money back and also not wasting time complaining about it every other day on this forum!"

I don't need to sell it. it may come in handy as a heater if it gets cold this winter, it's resale value is next to worthless anyway, and I'd feel guilty foisting it on someone else.

This forum describes itself as being to advise new and existing Mac users. So if you don't mind I will speak as I find. I own and use five Mac's right now, so I'm qualified to express my opinion here, if you don't like it, don't read it, - otherwise you are wasting your own time.

My Cubase also works fine with Catalina, but Nuendo does not. You haven't heard of Nuendo I suppose?

Apple consistently ignore their user base because their user base is mainly ultra loyal and they will buy whatever Apple throw at them. The sycophantic twaddle you recommend I consult when I want to buy a computer is for those people. I respectfully decline.
Hmm. Well, I hate the butterfly MacBook keyboards. They are absolutely terrible! I wanted the 8 core but I was waiting for Apple to fix the terrible keyboard and thanks to reading that site I knew that they would do so in their redesigned 16".

I also knew that Catalina would cause havoc with music software, hence why I am waiting for all issues to be resolved before I get the pleasure of receiving a lovely fast 8 core with a keyboard that works and a 50% more efficient cooling system and a bigger, brighter, higher resolution 16" display.

Think of all the time, money and hassle I saved myself by doing a tiny bit of research! I'd recommend anyone doing the same.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Apple consistently ignore their user base because their user base is mainly ultra loyal and they will buy whatever Apple throw at them.

I agree with this comment, I am a late convert to Apple and the above is hugely disappointing especially as I moved away from Windoze (around the time W8 was released) for much those reasons.

It's all made worse by the fact that, in so many ways, Apple products are so good. I currently have 2008 cheese grater Mac in the 'studio', a 2012 MBP, iPad mini4 and an iPhone 6S. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify a new MBP or Mac Pro at those prices (and my old kit is plenty fast enough for my needs).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby johnny h » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:Apple consistently ignore their user base because their user base is mainly ultra loyal and they will buy whatever Apple throw at them.

I agree with this comment
This was true maybe 3 years ago when they were even thinking of scrapping the headphone port on the MacBook Pro.

Since those dark times they have increased the battery life, performance, cooling system and keyboard at the expense of size / weight. Also they have brought the escape key and the cursor T layout back through customer feedback.

At the same time they have brought back the much loved classic Mac Pro tower.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:

I agree with this comment, I am a late convert to Apple and the above is hugely disappointing especially as I moved away from Windoze (around the time W8 was released) for much those reasons.

It's all made worse by the fact that, in so many ways, Apple products are so good. I currently have 2008 cheese grater Mac in the 'studio', a 2012 MBP, iPad mini4 and an iPhone 6S. I doubt I'll ever be able to justify a new MBP or Mac Pro at those prices (and my old kit is plenty fast enough for my needs).

my 2011 iMac with an i7 is so good I kept looking for an i9 just to be ahead of the game, so I jumped at the first one. I'm always saying I'll jump ship, but the thing is I like Macs, and I just can't stand Windows 10. So now I've got my rant out of my system, I'll stick with Mac and wait for Catalina to be either scrapped or fixed. I saw the new cheese graters in the Mac shop in Bangkok a couple of weeks back and they look super. Smaller than you'd think.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
Apple consistently ignore their user base because their user base is mainly ultra loyal and they will buy whatever Apple throw at them.

With all due respect - nuts to that. If you are in the Mac world you stick with your current machine(s) or you upgrade to what you think you need. It can drive you crazy sometimes because they like to do the two steps forward one step backwards dance. Always cool new features, always a few goofy inclusions. Apple definitely listen both to hardware and software suggestions. Logic Pro is proof of that, but again 2 steps forward and 1 back.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next