You are here

New MBP Review in SOS

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New MBP Review in SOS

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Sony's after sales was appalling too. Mine died 'cos the DC power socket failed after a couple of years. The 'repair' Sony offered (a motherboard replacement) would have cost more than the cost of a new machine. I asked for a service sheet just so I could dismantle the laptop without breaking the various plastic tabs and clips but was told (amongst several other spurious reasons fo not supplying one) that they didn't supply such information due to 'industrial espionage' :headbang: I was able to replace the connector with another attached to the chassis with floating leads to the MB which lasted until the machine died for other reasons.

Yeah, they're famously rubbish.

Dell aftersales on the other hand is second to none, and I would include Apple in that assessment, with the further proviso that I've had excellent aftersales from Apple when needed.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:23 pm

I still have a couple of Sony laptops. One of them running Windows 7 home pro (thats how old it is) Massive screen, still works perfectly but is huge for a laptop. The other one is the touchpad with the foldaway keyboard. The touch screen famously leaked a gluey substance, went all colours of the rainbow, and became useless - it happened to all of them I believe. I don't even think Sony acknowledged the problem. BUT it is indispensable because I ripped off the screen, attached a Dell touchscreen to it, hooked it up to my X-32 rack via ethernet and it controls the X-32 which is being fed audio from my iMac i7. It has the footprint of a small keyboard, and doubles as a big tablet when I'm not using the X-32.

By the way why on Earth are Apple so doggedly determined to avoid making touchscreens for laptops? I mean it's not like they don't know how, what with iPads and things.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:37 pm

My guess would be ergonomics, and because iPads and things.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:48 pm

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/24/ma ... ssor-2021/

While I was looking at this and checking the price difference issue (which there really isn’t that much of a difference now as has been stated, I care across the above...which is interesting!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby desmond » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:55 pm

All signs point to yes.

ARM-based Macs have been rumoured for a while - Apple have been held up by Intel's chip designs and you can be sure they want to control their primary technologies. It looks like they've been cleaning the OSX "house" lately - eg removing old frameworks and 32-bit support in Catalina, likely to make the ARM transition easier (it's a lot easier to write emulation code that supports only one architecture than to include support for a bunch of old stuff going back a decade or more).

Plus Apple's chip design team are streets ahead of anyone else in the mobile space, and for a lot of Macs, the performance-power consumption trade offs more suit those mobile style chips - processors in the iPad Pro are already faster than some of the laptops.

So it looks likely to be happening, but will probably be a staged roll out and it probably doesn't make sense for all Macs to be ARM-based, be certainly does for the smaller laptops at the very least...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Well . . . some enterprising folk have unearthed evidence within certain files that point to AMD maybe getting a shot.

Of course, they might have just misinterpreted.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Previous