You are here

Logic Pro X> Suddenly can't write midi notes in piano roll!!!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X> Suddenly can't write midi notes in piano roll!!!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:24 pm

Dr Huge has another crazy Logic Pro issue.

Middle of a big project. Suddenly I can't enter midi notes in the piano roll by drawing them in. If I try, a tiny note appears on the left of the midi region but it won't allow me to move it, stretch it or edit it in any way. I can play notes in from my keyboard as normal but if I try and edit these notes, move, stretch etc etc, it won't let me. All I seem to be able to do is delete the notes by highlighting and backspace.

I have restarted the mac, closed and reopened the project several times but the problem persists. Only in this project. Old projects work fine still. Google hasn't helped me.

Any ideas what caused this behaviour and how to solve??

Thanks in advance everyone
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic Pro X> Suddenly can't write midi notes in piano roll!!!

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Any ideas what caused this behaviour?
Dr Huge Longjohns. ;)
Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: and how to solve?
Wait for Desmond! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:09 pm

I suspect your diagnosis of the root cause will turn out to be spot on.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:41 am

Is this only in one region, or multiple different regions on the same track, or does it occur in every track?

Can you insert notes with other editors? (eg event list, score etc)

Try creating a new MIDI track, and create a new region on it - does this work as you expect?

Do you have regions before 1 1 1 1?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi D,

1. Yes occurs on every midi track, and in every region. New or existing, same behaviour. It's as if a gremlin has got into the whole piano roll system. So I basically can't write any midi data in the piano roll at all.

2. Step editor seems to work ok. But if you then try and edit the notes in the PR it goes haywire again.

3. No regions before 1111. How do you even do that?

I tried a project alternative but that has the same issue. :sick:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Can you save out a copy of the project, strip out all the other tracks and any audio, so it's just that weird affected track, and zip up the project file, and I'll take a look and see if it does it here too...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:35 pm

That would be brilliant, thanks. No audio in the project yet, all midi so far. And none of it can be edited any more or new midi notes pencilled in. I'll send you a slimmed down version as it seems to be affect all and any midi regions, even in the copy. Where shall I send it?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 pm

On its way! Thanks so much! :clap: :thumbup:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 pm

In the piano roll, you had Snap to Grid enabled, in Bar mode, so notes you were entering were being entered at the beginning of a bar. If you turn off Snap to Grid, you'll again be able to enter notes anywhere, as you expect, and change the length of them on input.

I'm not sure why in Snap mode you can't change the length of notes as you enter them (when the short notes were being placed at a bar) - *see below*.

In any case, the snap to grid setting and snap value is your main culprit here - change the snap value to Smart, or Beat or something, or turn of Snap to Grid altogether, and it should work for you...

Edit: Ok, if the note length is *shorter* than your snap value, you'll get that small note at the start - when you enter it, as you drag to the right to change it's length, nothing will happen unless you get the end of the note to the next snap value, at which point the note length will visibly change. In short, the Snap to Grid is helping you both align note starts, *and* note ends.

Each additional note you add will keep the same length as the previously entered note.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:26 pm

Fantastic, thankyou! I must have turned on snap to grid in the piano roll accidentally somehow. Maybe an accidental Apple G but have no recollection of doing this, needless to say. Anyway, problem solved. I was wondering if it was some sort of snap thing but kept changing the snap to bar/division etc and nothing changed. Didn't think about the grid as it's not something I ever use. Thanks for all your time on a saturday night! :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 pm

For the record, this might be my first thread with correct diagnosis of problem and solution! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:36 pm

:bouncy:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)