You are here

alias for plugins folder

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

alias for plugins folder

Postby jodaki » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi,
I want to free up space on my 500GB system drive and the /library/audio/plugins folder takes up 110GB (Acustica IRs mainly, need I say more ;) )

...so it's an obvious centre of attention and I want to move it to a permanently available SSD drive.

Normally, Id copy the folder, create an alias to the copy, then delete the original and put the alias there in its place. This works perfectly for all sorts of 'system' folders (music, pictures etc.)

But wiIl it work for my plugins folder, or am I asking for trouble?

If I cant move the entire folder, Id at least like to move the components as that accounts for the vast majority of the space.

I thought Id ask before doing it... thanks

PS. Im using Mojave and Logic Pro is my DAW. I also use Ozone 8 pro and occasionally Wavelab 9 Pro (which is why I have VST3 copies of the acustica stuff as well as AU components).
jodaki
Regular

Re: alias for plugins folder

Postby ore_terra » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm

You probably can redirect the softwares to the new folder, so there would be no need for the alias’
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Re: alias for plugins folder

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm

No, do not alias essential system folders to other places, and the plugins need to be there to work.

However, there should be no reason to store *data* there (eg impulse responses) so I’d recommend relocating to those and using whatever plugin you are using’s official method of telling it where it’s data is to point to the new data folder.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio