You are here

New number one on my Logic wishlist...

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New number one on my Logic wishlist...

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:01 am

I was helping a chum programme some drums in Reaper yesterday and was amazed to see that when you add swing to a midi part, Reaper adjusts the underlying grid to match.

With Logic Pro, when you add swing, the notes simply move in relation to each other, but the underlying grid is fixed.

What this means is, in Reaper, it's much much easier to write new notes in as you just drop them on the grid lines, which are pre-swung for you. It's an absolutely brilliant feature and, if you use swing a lot as I do, a big time-saver.

What would be great would be to have this function in Logic, possibly with the ability to switch it off for those who'd prefer the fixed grid? And to be able to do it for the whole project as well as individual midi tracks.

Reaper 1-0 Logic Pro.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: New number one on my Logic wishlist...

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:25 am

You've always been able to do this in the Step Editor (with different grids per note, if you like) and this helps make the Step Editor a powerful drum programming environment.

But this feature hasn't made it to the piano roll yet, although you can snap as time quantize and set that to swung values iirc (but the display grid won't change).
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am

It's not as easy to see at a glance what's going on, though, is it? Perhaps if the velocities were colour graded like in the PR but it seems quite a blunt tool to me, despite the grid flexibility which I confess I didn't know about. And as far as I can see you're limited to the preset Q values? So you can't fine tune the Q like you can in the PR?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:It's not as easy to see at a glance what's going on, though, is it? Perhaps if the velocities were colour graded like in the PR but it seems quite a blunt tool to me, despite the grid flexibility which I confess I didn't know about.

I started to use the (then) Hyper Editor in Creator to do drum tracks, and I can tell you it was *miles* ahead of the equivalent Cubase drum editor at the time, unless you just wanted to do boring 16ths drum patterns with limited velocity. Cubase's drum editor approach of shading the diamonds according to velocity was terrible for gauging velocity - Hyper Edit was/is way better for this imo.

I don't know what you mean about blunt tool - I was programming and editing very realistic drum parts and while I don't do so much of that these days, I always found it pretty great.

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:And as far as I can see you're limited to the preset Q values? So you can't fine tune the Q like you can in the PR?

It's pretty the same menus that are displayed in the PR for quantize, plus you can define your own Groove Quantise if you have anything exotic beyond the range of swing and mixed quantisation options. You just don't get the strength/swing sliders, that's about the only difference...

Anyway, you know the place to send your Logic feedback and feature requests, so... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio