You are here

New Macbook Pro

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

New Macbook Pro

Postby jezgates » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:30 pm

I have just read the SOS review of the recently released 16 inch Macbook pro. I am considering upgrading from my 4 year old Macbook pro.

The reviewer, Simon Sherbourne, suggests upgrading to the 8 core processor/32GB ram.

I wonder if you could only stretch to one upgrade between the processor and RAM which would be better value. To go from 6 core to 8 core processor is £310. To go from 16gb to 32gb is £360.

I am using LOGIC and Ableton. I work only on fairly small projects but I occasionally edit video also. This is the reason I would consider the upgrade. I am kind of guessing the increased RAM would be the one to go for.

Anyhow just putting it out there. Hope you all good!
jezgates

Re: New Macbook Pro

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:38 pm

How much RAM do you currently use when running your projects? if you're not using anywhere near 16GB currently, then budgeting for 32GB isn't going to give you much if it's just going unused... So I'd start assessing your needs from there...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby johnny h » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 pm

CPU intensive synths and plugins will benefit more from 8 cores than extra ram.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:44 pm

If you are happy to spend on one upgrade I reckon you'll end up regretting not spending the extra for both. I'd even go so far as to say I'd have the 1 TB SSD option too.

If I was in the market that is, at this time I would not buy a laptop that was not capable of an SSD/HDD replacement, they seem to be the least reliable element.

I was going to ask if you'd considered a last gen refurb but the cheapest 15.4" on the Apple Store page is a 6 core with 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD and costs £2739 which doesn't seem worth the bother.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:03 am

I suggest 8 Core rather than the extra RAM. I think adding memory chips later would be easier than changing out the CPU when more cash is in the stash, and you would feel the difference right away with the faster processor.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Mike McLoone » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:39 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I suggest 8 Core rather than the extra RAM. I think adding memory chips later would be easier than changing out the CPU

With Apple I'm afraid it isn't possible to upgrade the Mac Book RAM or SSD these days after the device is purchased:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250889216
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:26 am

And it hasn't been possible to upgrade the CPU in a Macbook Pro for a considerable number of years. And ~£3k is a lot of money for a device that is considered disposable when it breaks.

If I decide to upgrade I'll be looking for the last 13" MBP with user replaceable RAM and SSD/HDD and hope that will see me out.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jezgates » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 am

I totally get it. My existing MacBook pro is only 4 years old but I like the sound of the bigger screen and better keyboard on offer. As soon as I bought my current one I knew that keyboard would be unreliable.

Before I bought it I tried a couple of other options due to the usual complaints of cost and short life of apple laptops. BUT.. having tried a couple of options I struggled to get them to run smoothly and to play nicely with my Rme interface. And the user experience was nowhere close. I particularly prefer osx over windows but also the trackpad is a million times better and I am so familiar with logic also.
jezgates

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 pm

That 16 inch MacBook Pro is one fine machine and I don’t know what windows machine would be a direct comparison and if it would be much cheaper. And If you’re a mac person well...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Humble Bee wrote:That 16 inch MacBook Pro is one fine machine and I don’t know what windows machine would be a direct comparison and if it would be much cheaper. And If you’re a mac person well...

As I mentioned in another similar thread, if you want similar quality you are probably looking at something like the Dell Precision range which isn't far off the same price (although more configurable after purchase). For the configuration that I compared, the Mac was actually only more expensive because you need to take out an additional warranty plan to match the Dell's standard warranty (3 years onsite).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby johnny h » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I suggest 8 Core rather than the extra RAM. I think adding memory chips later would be easier than changing out the CPU when more cash is in the stash, and you would feel the difference right away with the faster processor.
Have you been living in a cave for the last 8 years? You haven't been able to upgrade RAM since the MBP Retina came out in 2012.

Get the 16", 32 ram, 2TB SSD (at least) and 8 cores. You can't upgrade.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:48 pm

Spot the difference:

Mike McLoone wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:I suggest 8 Core rather than the extra RAM. I think adding memory chips later would be easier than changing out the CPU

With Apple I'm afraid it isn't possible to upgrade the Mac Book RAM or SSD these days after the device is purchased:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250889216

johnny h wrote:
Have you been living in a cave for the last 8 years? You haven't been able to upgrade RAM since the MBP Retina came out in 2012.

Get the 16", 32 ram, 2TB SSD (at least) and 8 cores. You can't upgrade.

Johnny, why are you being gratuitously hostile? Especially as you're repeating the gist of an earlier, politer, answer.

Chill out man!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:08 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If I decide to upgrade I'll be looking for the last 13" MBP with user replaceable RAM and SSD/HDD and hope that will see me out.....

From what has been said, it looks like I already have the last MBP with upgradable RAM in my 2012 13".....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:From what has been said, it looks like I already have the last MBP with upgradable RAM in my 2012 13".....

Yep, I believe so. Any laptop later than the 2012 models have the RAM, drives etc all soldered in and are not upgradable.

The 2018 Mini, and the new Mac Pro 7,1 are the only newer machines with any upgradable parts as far as I know.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby MOF » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:23 pm

From what has been said, it looks like I already have the last MBP with upgradable RAM in my 2012 13".....
In computing terms that’s an antique. I still have my 2009 17” MBP with intel core duo 2.66Ghz cpu and 4GB of RAM and fairly recently swapped the hard drive to SSD.
If I use Logic on it it’s not too long before I end up freezing tracks.
I upgraded my 2009 upgraded iMac (i7 cpu) in 2018 to a more upgraded iMac. This has the latest i7 cpu plus 32GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD.
I use Logic at 96khz/24bit and it works really well with quite a lot of plugins too.
Friends of mine have bought the 15” MBP with 32GB of RAM and use them as their principal computers with an external Thunderbolt display. I might have done the same if they had been available when I bought my iMac.
I would like to get one of the new Macbook Pros just to be able to run FCP X and check my 4k video files when I’m away from home, plus use Logic at 96khz. I alternate between thinking about buying a basic 13” or on credit a fully specc’d 16” version and maybe selling the iMac and buying a cheap 27” monitor.
Either way I would say that ten plus years of use makes Macs good value.
In answer to the OP I think it depends how many plugins and virtual instruments you use, the more you use then cpu is the limiting factor, however once you’ve created a track with a plugin then you can freeze it and having lots of tracks will make more RAM the necessary upgrade.
You mention video editing. If you’re doing 4k RAW video then, to throw another spanner in the works, you might have to bite the bullet and get the 8GB graphics card, 64GB of RAM and the fastest cpu to avoid the pizza wheel spinning for ages as the files are rendered.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Next