You are here

Mactop (2nd hand) recommendation

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mactop (2nd hand) recommendation

Postby baward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:30 pm

My partner’s son has asked me to recommend a second-hand Macbook or similar, for him to do ‘video editing and general use’. He’s not made of money, so can spend no more than about £500.

Do we know what he should look at, and from where in particular? Thanks.
baward
Regular

Re: Mactop (2nd hand) recommendation

Postby Kwackman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:52 pm

I've used the apple refurb site in the past, but I don't think they'll have laptops in that budget.
I also bought a cheese grater Mac Pro from
https://macfinder.co.uk and was happy with their service.
They also do laptops.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon and advise you re the spec of the machine.
If your son wants to run a specific video editor, that might dictate the Mac spec, and maybe the budget!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:17 pm

If it's for video he needs the fastest CPU he can find and a 15" or 17" display, retina would be preferable. An older MBP can still do the job but involves more hanging about waiting for renders. £500 is not much for a MBP though I'd probably be hoping for a 2014/2015 with that budget.

Disclaimer, I know a little about Macs but WRT video I'm going off what my bass player mate says, he is a video graphics bod in real life working on everything from web stuff to advertising, film and TV (Disney and BBC). He decided his 2008/9 or thereabouts 17" MBP was getting too slow a couple of years ago but is still using, IIRC, a 2014/15 iMac Pro as his main machine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby baward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks both. :clap:
baward
Regular