You are here

Mac OS duplicate file finder

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac OS duplicate file finder

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:52 am

I have a recent iMac 21.5" on Mojave (hesitating over upgrading to Catalina) and a new MacBook Pro 16" on Catalina. I also have a D-Link NAS from my old Windows set-up that holds an archive of assorted content from a number of old Windows machines. The NAS has also been used to copy data between both Macs.

In the past I copied the contents of the NAS to a hard drive attached to my iMac. But now I wish to wipe the NAS and use the D-Link Mac utilities to set it up up again and host my Time Machine back-ups for both Macs.

What I would like to do is to ensure all the contents of the NAS are safely copied to one of my attached drives. However, those contents contain many duplicates as I copied data between several machines, copied the data from all of those machines to a portable drive AND copied that portable drive to the NAS.

A quick visit to the App Store reveals a host of Mac OS duplicate file finder utilities, but I haven't the faintest idea which I should purchase. Looking for recommendations based on experience with multiple Macs AND networked storage.

This is step one of migrating fully to the Mac OS platform. Once completed I'll be back with further questions about Parallels. But that's another story!!!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Mac OS duplicate file finder

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:22 pm

I have an app called 'Duplicate File Finder' which seems to work ok but I have no comparison with other options as it's the only one I've used (apart from trying one or two 'free but don't actually do anything until you buy the expensive pro version' ones :headbang: )

It's only £9.99 to upgrade to pro but the free version does a decent amount. I spent a fair bit of time researching trying to find something that would do the job without being silly expensive.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I don't really need to do this much, and I don't know of your requirements, but Gemini 2 was always the recommended dupe finder...

https://macpaw.com/gemini
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks chaps, I'll have a look at those. :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby baward » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm

2x for Gemini 2
baward
Regular