You are here

Help installing Voxengo MSED please

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:56 pm

I'm trying to help someone install Voxengo MSED plugin on a MacBook. We are getting no where. Help please.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26278
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help installing voxengo msed please

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Can't help directly, but maybe try installing another freebie Mac plug-in and see where the files go?
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13720
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help installing voxengo msed please

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:20 pm

When you say getting nowhere, how far have you got?
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9451
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Help installing voxengo msed please

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I imagine you've seen this, but I'll post it just in case:
Download types
AU, AAX for Mac (Mac_AU_AAX) — AudioUnit, AAX plugin for Mac OS X version 10.6 and later, universal binary (32-bit and 64-bit Intel processor support). This download requires ProTools 12+ or AudioUnit-compatible host audio application to run.

VST, VST3 for Mac (Mac_VST_VST3) — VST and VST3 plugin for Mac OS X version 10.6 and later, universal binary (32-bit and 64-bit Intel processor support). This download requires a VST or VST3-compatible host audio application to run.

VST, VST3, AAX for Windows, 64 and 32 (Win32_64_VST_VST3_AAX) — VST, VST3 and AAX plugin for 32-bit and 64-bit host audio applications running on Windows. This download requires ProTools 12+, a VST or VST3-compatible host audio application to run.

How to install Voxengo MSED

In order to install this product you will need to download its corresponding setup file to the computer you are planning to use this product on (Internet connection is not required for the product to function).

For VST, VST3, AAX plug-ins on Windows platform:

You should execute the downloaded setup file, select plug-in types you would like to install, and for VST plug-ins specify the VstPlugins folder location, the one which is connected with the audio application you are using and where this application expects VST plug-ins to reside (the "Voxengo" sub-folder will be also created there). VST3 plug-ins are always installed into the standard "Common Files/VST3" folder. AAX plug-ins are always installed into the standard "Common Files/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins" folder.

(the installed Voxengo plug-in DLL files can be moved around freely)

For AudioUnit, VST, VST3 plug-ins on macOS platform:

You should open the DMG disk image and drag & drop the "component" (or "vst", "vst3") package from it into the corresponding plug-in folder located in the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/" folder on the harddisk (the "component" package should go to the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/" folder while the "vst", "vst3" package should go to the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/" (VST3/) folder). Note that direct links to these folders are present in the DMG archive. The "component" package is distributed separately from the "vst" and "vst3" packages.

Note that you need to install AudioUnit plug-in for use in Logic Pro, GarageBand and other AudioUnit-compatible audio applications.

For AAX plug-ins on macOS platform:

AAX plug-in can be installed in a similar manner: the "aaxplugin" file resides in the "ProTools AAX" folder. This file should be manually copied into the "Plug-Ins" folder on the harddisk for which a direct link is available.

After this has been done you will need to order your audio application to rescan plug-ins, or if that option is unavailable you will need to re-start this application. Note that plug-ins cannot work without an audio application that hosts/loads them.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13720
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help installing voxengo msed please

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:37 pm

The Elf wrote:For AudioUnit, VST, VST3 plug-ins on macOS platform:

You should open the DMG disk image and drag & drop the "component" (or "vst", "vst3") package from it into the corresponding plug-in folder located in the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/" folder on the harddisk (the "component" package should go to the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/" folder while the "vst", "vst3" package should go to the "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/" (VST3/) folder). Note that direct links to these folders are present in the DMG archive. The "component" package is distributed separately from the "vst" and "vst3" packages.

Note that you need to install AudioUnit plug-in for use in Logic Pro, GarageBand and other AudioUnit-compatible audio applications.

For AAX plug-ins on macOS platform:

AAX plug-in can be installed in a similar manner: the "aaxplugin" file resides in the "ProTools AAX" folder. This file should be manually copied into the "Plug-Ins" folder on the harddisk for which a direct link is available.

After this has been done you will need to order your audio application to rescan plug-ins, or if that option is unavailable you will need to re-start this application. Note that plug-ins cannot work without an audio application that hosts/loads them.[/i]

Hugh, this looks like Voxengo adopts the same install process as HoRnet plug-ins that I use. Convoluted, but I have highlighted the important bits in bold above.

If you're lost, the Library is accessed from the main hard drive - see my example screenshot, showing the Components folder (directory in PC speak) and Plug-ins is lower down off the screen (not shown).

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 16.34.10.jpg
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks guys... I've given up for the time being... I found my chum an MS decoder workaround instead.

I'm not a mac user but I'm astonished at how clumsy this installation process seems to be. On the PC you click on the VST installer and its done... None of this manual file drag/dropping to destination folders.

Nevertheless, I did follow the instructions you've highlighted above, for both the AU and VST options, dropping the component file into the library... component folder and the VST file into vst folder. The right things appeared to be in the right folders.

We then tried the Logic plugin manager reset/rescan button but that appeared to do nothing at all, and restarting Logic didn't find the Voxengo MSED plugin either...

Utterly flumoxed!
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26278
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Ah, Logic... time to consult the oracle that be Paul White perhaps?
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 3202
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Yes... email consultation already in hand! :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26278
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Ah, Logic...
This ^^ :D
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9451
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 pm

I just went to install the version I downloaded - VoxengoMSED_33_Mac etc etc
I dropped the component into the component folder. Booted Logic 10.4.4 and the plug showed up and I could instantiate it on either an audio track or a midi track.
I believe I’m MacOS 10.12.
Anything thing I can do to help?
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2676
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada
 

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Which component folder, please?

I think we were using the one under his own user account, but it has been suggested that we should have used the computer's all-users library audio component folder...
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26278
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm not a mac user but I'm astonished at how clumsy this installation process seems to be. On the PC you click on the VST installer and its done... None of this manual file drag/dropping to destination folders.

This is not a Mac vs PC thing, this is a "how the developer choose to package his software" thing.

There are plugins on the PC that you manually put into your VST folder (on the PC, there is no system location for this, and different apps often use different paths, plugins get put in the wrong VST folder and don't show up etc - bit of a nightmare. On the Mac, there are properly defined system audio plugin folders), and there are ones with installers. Same on the Mac, although most Mac plugins are installed via installers.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:We then tried the Logic plugin manager reset/rescan button but that appeared to do nothing at all, and restarting Logic didn't find the Voxengo MSED plugin either...

If you're on High Sierra or later, reboot the *Mac* after installing a plugin (although there is a nerdy terminal command to force a plugin reset), otherwise newly installed plugins might not be seen by the system.

Try that.
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Which component folder, please?

I think we were using the one under his own user account, but it has been suggested that we should have used the computer's all-users library audio component folder...

It shouldn't matter - I generally use the root plugin folder by default.

Edit: Ok, I download it, and opened the archive. The component file is sitting right next to an folder alias to the "Components" folder, you just copy MSED.component into that folder alias next to it and the Mac will put it in the right place. I forced a plugin reset using my terminal command (but a reboot is easier to describe) and the plugin shows up for me fine, in all my apps and Logic.

Image

If you don't want to reboot, then this is the terminal command:

killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar

I have this as a bash alias to "pluginreset" so that's all I have to type and it saves me a reboot. Once of those High Sierra annoyances (Sierra was the best OS for me by far, everything since has been... sketchy..)
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Help installing Voxengo MSED please

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Cheers -- helpful advice there! Thanks.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26278
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound