You are here

Addictive Drums and GarageBand

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Addictive Drums and GarageBand

Postby nickle15 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Good morning!

I recently purchased Addictive Drums 2 from XLN Audio. I also own their modern upright plugin (Addictive Keys). I'm trying to use AD as a plugin on Garageband. I don't have any problems using AK. When I follow the same process I use to load AK into a track I don't see AD in my list of available plugins. Also, I have three other plugins that show up just fine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong (because I'm sure it's something). Any tips would be appreciated. I'm not at my studio space right now but will try any suggestions when I get home this evening.

I know I don't post much but I do read a lot in these forums and appreciate all the information that is shared here! I hope everyone is safe and well.
nickle15
Poster

Re: Addictive Drums and GarageBand

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Have you restarted your computer since you installed the plugin? This is often required on newer Mac OSX versions.

If so, check another plugin host, such as the free "Hosting AU" app, or 'AULab" - does the plugin appear there, or is it also missing from the plugin menus?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nickle15 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:43 pm

desmond wrote:Have you restarted your computer since you installed the plugin? This is often required on newer Mac OSX versions.

If so, check another plugin host, such as the free "Hosting AU" app, or 'AULab" - does the plugin appear there, or is it also missing from the plugin menus?

Oh man. How many times in my life have I said to people "did you try restarting it"? And that didn't even occur to me! I'll give that a shot when I get home. Good grief!! Thanks a bunch!
nickle15
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 pm

No problem, let me know if that fixed it.

The reason being that from High Sierra onwards, a bug or behaviour change in the process that monitors plugin changes sometimes means plugins that have just been installed won't be recognised. A reboot will restart that process and new plugins will then be available.

Alternately, you can use the Terminal command "killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar" (if you're comfortable with running Terminal commands), which achieves the same thing, without requiring a reboot.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 pm

Fixed - a restart did the trick. Thanks a ton!!
nickle15
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:10 am

Great! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster