You are here

Pro Tools 12 I/O Question

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Pro Tools 12 I/O Question

Postby nickle15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:26 pm

I just subscribed to Pro Tools last evening after a few months with PT First. I was pretty happy with First but wanted plugin ability so I decided to subscribe to give it a test run.

Here are my specifics:
Late 2012 Mac Mini - 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD, i5 processor
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen
I'm connected from the Focusrite to the Mac via USB
I have four different keyboard connected to the Mac via powered USB hub

Hopefully that will be enough info about my setup but I can provide more if needed.

When using First I was running all inputs through the Focusrite, but using the Mac Mini built in output for monitoring. There were a few reasons it made sense for me to use the Mac output vs the Focusrite, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Last night after installation of Pro Tools I finally figured out how to configure the I/O - though I don't remember having to do all that when I installed First a few months ago. Anyway, it seems that I could no longer use the Mac Mini built in output alongside the Focusrite input. I thought that wasn't much of a hill so I decided to just use the Focusrite for both input and output. Everything worked and I was happy.

This morning I started a new session and loaded up a track with the Modern Upright plugin from XLN. As soon as I started playing it, it just didn't sound right. Kind of tinny and far away sounding. After some headscratching I opened the plugin in a stand alone mode and got the same sound. So then I plugged my headphones back into the Mac directly, switched the plugin output to route through the Mac instead of the Focusrite and the piano sounded perfect again.

The short version here is that I would like to revert to my original monitoring setup, where I use the Focusrite for input and the Mac built in output for my headphones. Probably should have just said that at the start. Anyway, does anyone know if it's possible to configure the I/O in Pro Tools to accomplish that setup? Thanks to anyone who actually made it through all that rambling.

PS - is it possible there are effects in the piano plugin that are not routing through the Focusrite and that's why I'm getting a different sound?
nickle15
Poster

Re: Pro Tools 12 I/O Question

Postby nickle15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:45 pm

It's worth noting that I just set the output to route through the Focusrite again, and if I listen to the plugins (Addictive Drums 2 and Addictive Keys) in a Pro Tools track, and then again just by opening the standalone plugins there is a noticeable drop-off in sound quality when I listen in Pro Tools.

And there is yet another increase in sound quality when I do the same test with the built in output on the Mac. So, I'm thinking my Focusrite may need some adjusting, or I may need to figure out a different way to monitor.

It's awfully frustrating to be ready to just sit down and write but have these little sidetracking moments! Oh well...
nickle15
Poster

Re: Pro Tools 12 I/O Question

Postby nickle15 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Solved!!!!!!!!!!!

I opened my Focusrite control app and played around with the headphones settings there. They were set to custom mix. When I changed them to playback 1-2 it completely fixed the sound issues.

Sorry to have taken up space on here but maybe this will help someone else along the way. Have a great weekend all, and stay safe!
nickle15
Poster