You are here

Thunderbolt IO for my mid 2012 MBP

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Thunderbolt IO for my mid 2012 MBP

Postby MarkOne » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:03 am

Up until now I have just used the thunderbolt port to plug in my displayport monitor, but I now need to also use the port for an HDMI-TB video capture interface.

Anyone know of a docking port type thingy that will allow me to plug in the monitor and the capture box at the same time ?

Many thanks
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Thunderbolt IO for my mid 2012 MBP

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Are you saying you have two TB devices to plugin, ie a displayport monitor, and some other TB interface?

If neither device has a pass-thru TB port, then you are out of luck. You can't add more TB ports to a single TB port, so if you only have one TB port on your computer, you can't turn it into two with another device (this is why newer laptops have two or more TB ports).

I had the same problem, in that I had an external monitor (displayport) and a TB UAD2 card - and I couldn't use them both at the same time.

You can get docks that plugin into TB that have a TB pass thru for another device, and an HDMI port, which you might be able to use for similar purposes, but the bottom line is that TB devices without a passthru have to be at the end of the chain, and if you have more than one, you can't use them both on the same TB bus.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby fatbenelton » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I’m assuming no HDMI on the monitor? I used to use the tb port for minidp but changed to HDMI when I needed tb for an interface.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby MarkOne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:34 am

fatbenelton wrote:I’m assuming no HDMI on the monitor? I used to use the tb port for minidp but changed to HDMI when I needed tb for an interface.

No, No HDMI on the MBP. :(

It's a mid 2012 MBP, it's got Firewire (Remember that?), Thunderbolt, which I have my display into, and 2 USB3s. Oh and an SD card reader

I'll have to find a USB3 HDMI capture device. Which is a shame, because Blackmagic designs don't do one, only TB, and most of the 'gamer' interfaces are very much part of the PC world and by all accounts are a nightmare to get working reliably with OS-X.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby fatbenelton » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:29 pm

Blackmagic Intensity says it’s USB3 or Tb. Might be a solution?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny