You are here

SOLVED: External USB drive won't connect after accidental switch-off

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

SOLVED: External USB drive won't connect after accidental switch-off

Postby redlester » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am

I have a 10-way powered USB3 hub connected to my Mac Mini, which has (amongst other things) four USB drives connected. Three of these are USB bus powered, the fourth is a 6TB HDD used for backup and as a general holding area, and this is a mains powered drive.

The other day I made the schoolboy error of accidentally unplugging the hub, while the computer was booted up. Now I'm finding the fourth external drive, the powered one, will not re-connect - there is a blue light on the Hub to confirm the USB connection for the device, but it's not coming up in Finder nor in Disk Utility.

Furthermore, when I boot up I get error messages that all four of the drives have not been ejected properly, but once fully booted the three bus powered drives are all available as normal in Finder.

I have tried the problem drive on my MacBook Pro and it works fine on that. So the drive is working, the cable is OK, the USB hub is "seeing" the device. The drive is listed under System Report>USB, so it is being seen by the hardware, just not appearing in Finder or Disk Utility, and seemingly causing issues with the other three drives at boot up.

I have tried the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC resets, neither has made any difference.

Is there anything else I can try or, as such drives are so relatively cheap these days, should I stop wasting any more time with it? (I've retrieved what is on the drive while connected to the Laptop and backed it up to my NAS drive).
redlester
Regular

Re: External USB drive won't connect after accidental switch-off

Postby Kwackman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 am

If you plug that powered drive directly to the mac-mini, not via the hub, is it still ignored?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Re: External USB drive won't connect after accidental switch-off

Postby redlester » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:38 am

Kwackman wrote:If you plug that powered drive directly to the mac-mini, not via the hub, is it still ignored?

I knew there'd be something I hadn't tried yet! Will get back to you on that shortly.

Edit: Problem sorted! It showed up while connected directly, so I took the opportunity then to properly eject it. I then powered off, and plugged it back into the hub, and now everything boots as normal.

Thank you so much, I would buy you a pint sir, if only we were allowed to! :clap:
redlester
Regular