You are here

been a while

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

been a while

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 pm

But I started plugging stuff back together

delighted to have Liquid Mix, working under 32 Lives, and my old Frontier design Tranzport working seemingly with no fuss, at the same time as My SL Zero Mk2 , all in Logic X on Yosemite

Now then....
I've not updated Logic for a while..... quite deliberately.....

can someone talk to me about what version of Logic is the latest I can run on that OS (i can run high sierra etc, but ... some things may stop working, and if it aint broke don;t bloody fix it.... )

and how do I get older version updates from app store .... seeing as current version requires later OS ?

I'm playing the game, of "How much of my old kit in storage boxes can I get actually working "

MacBook Pro late 2011 i7 2.4Ghz , Yosemite OS, 16GB Ram, 2TB of SSD

logic version is somewhere around 10.1something or other....

and If I update, as far as Yosemite will support, is there any benefit or shall I stick with it as is seeing as it's pretty much solid and working as is ?
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Re: been a while

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:53 pm

You can't get old OS versions from Apple. I you happen to know someone who has old installers saved ( :thumbup: ) they might be able to help.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 pm

OS is NOT a problem,, I have every version back to and including OS7 on floppy disc.

it's versions of Logic that I'm questioning.

I'm going to be doing a clean install on a new SSD partition, of the Yosemite build I currently have good results with, What I'm pondering is , if I wanted to redownload logic.... and NOT the current version , which does not support Yosemite....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:You can't get old OS versions from Apple. I you happen to know someone who has old installers saved ( :thumbup: ) they might be able to help.

CC

Actually CC you can, it's a little convoluted but doable*. What you can't do is revert an iDevice to an older iOS version (which is infuriating) or install older versions of an app unless you have previously used and saved it. Even that is getting harder since they moved app management from iTunes to the iDevice itself. Hopefully I'll be able to load an older version of iTunes to a spare Mac to service the older iPads.

* If anybody is stuck I have various old OSX versions for 2011/12 MBP and 2008 (ish) Mac Pro (cheese grater). Happy to stick them up on dropbox.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:44 am

Might Time Machine come to your rescue SSG?

Make an image of your Yosemite installation, then grab your existing Logic from an older Time Machine back-up and drop it into Yosemite. If it works, it might give you the most recent upgrade for Yosemite, and if it doesn't you can restore your working Yosemite from Time Machine.

Of course, I'm still fairly new to MacOS so have no problem being proved wrong by more experienced minds than mine.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:24 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:delighted to have Liquid Mix, working under 32 Lives, and my old Frontier design Tranzport working seemingly with no fuss, at the same time as My SL Zero Mk2 , all in Logic X on Yosemite

I've not updated Logic for a while..... quite deliberately.....

If you already have Logic X running on this system, then if you try to update it through the App store (or maybe Logic has it's own "check for updates" option?), I'm pretty sure it will tell you it can't upgrade because of your OS. But, I wonder if it will let you update to the last version that will work?
Maybe worth trying? As Clint would ask, "How lucky do you feel"?! :D

Alternatively, hopefully Desmond will be along shortly....
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:52 am

Kwackman wrote:But, I wonder if it will let you update to the last version that will work?
Maybe worth trying?

I've had the experience of it doing that. A couple of years back, though, but it seems reasonable they'll keep doing that.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby porthoss78 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi,

I recently put an SSD into my old 2009 MBP and reinstalled El Capitan 10.11.6, which is the most recent OS I could go to, without hacking it (which is what I did before and Mojave didn't work that well on it).

When I went to the App Store to install LPX, it told me I couldn't install the most recent version but could install the last version that was compatible with my OS, which was 10.3.3.

Yours will be different but you should be able to get the most recent compatible one from the App Store when you try to install.

I may have some other older LPX versions on an archive drive if you get stuck and want to try a different version.

Thanks
J
porthoss78
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 pm

The only problem with that approach is that the app store will expect you to upgrade OSX to the latest compatible version first, for a 2011 MBP it's High Sierra. OTOH, I have HS on both MBPs and on my wife's office iMac and it works fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:58 pm

Sorry, missed this due to the fairly non-descriptive thread title...

Studio Support Gnome wrote:can someone talk to me about what version of Logic is the latest I can run on that OS

On Yosemite? Blimey... LPX 10.3 required El Cap, so 10.2.4 will be the highest you can go.

Studio Support Gnome wrote:and how do I get older version updates from app store .... seeing as current version requires later OS ?

When you go to download your LPX purchase, the App Store should offer you the most recent version that will run on your system.

Studio Support Gnome wrote:MacBook Pro late 2011 i7 2.4Ghz , Yosemite OS, 16GB Ram, 2TB of SSD

That machine is more or less like mine. You can run up to High Sierra on it, which will let you run the current latest version of Logic (10.4.8).

Studio Support Gnome wrote:and If I update, as far as Yosemite will support, is there any benefit or shall I stick with it as is seeing as it's pretty much solid and working as is ?

Your choice. The main benefit is being able to run software that requires newer OS's than Yosemite, really...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 pm

desmond wrote:Your choice. The main benefit is being able to run software that requires newer OS's than Yosemite, really...

it's making sure that all the toys I have externally to the machine still work..... and some bits of software I have would need paid upgrades , and I'm not feeling wealthy while on Furlough
I do have a High Sierra Boot partition on one of the SSD drives , but I'm trying to keep that specifically for other work
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:it's making sure that all the toys I have externally to the machine still work..... and some bits of software I have would need paid upgrades , and I'm not feeling wealthy while on Furlough

Sure. I don't think much changes until you get to Sierra, where some old or obscure things won't work (Logic 9 won't work, the Redmatica apps won't work etc). HS may again break some older things due mostly to the file system changes, but in the main, compatibility isn't too bad until you start getting to Mojave when Apple have started to rid themselves of supporting older things.

I'd say that you could go go El Cap without any problems, and likely Sierra, but you'll need to check key pieces - but of course, if managing this and performing these kinds of inventories are not how you want to spend the time, stick with what you have. If you really want to try, you can always image your system drive (so you can always get back your current working system, then bung on a later OS of your choice and just see what happens...)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:42 am

during the course of sorting stuff out, I did discover that if you have an older OS , like, for example, Yosemite, you actually cannot buy LogicX any more ... App store requires you to purchase the latest version , running on appropriate later OS version (and associated Hardware )

thankfully I didn't actually need to .... but .....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)