You are here

Smart tempo help - Logic X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Smart tempo help - Logic X

Postby MarkOne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:35 am

I have a drum track that has some natural tempo variation to it, not played to a click. which I've imported into an existing project.

I want to get the click lined up for more recording.

I have used smart tempo to analyse the drum performance and I have the markers all lined up perfectly. I have changed the tempo to ADAPT in the little window next to the beat and bar markers at the top of the orange window. But so far I can't see how to make the project actually adapt the tempo to the drum track tempo that is shown in the smart tempo view...

What have I missed?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Smart tempo help - Logic X

Postby MarkOne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am

OK... Figured it out!

If you open the Smart Tempo view in the waveform editor and put the playhead to the first beat of the first measure in the range window, Set the cursor in the edit window to the first drum beat of the first measure and then take Edit>Set Downbeat to playhead position, and watch Logic populate the tempo track with all the micro tempo adjustments.

This is really smart!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Smart tempo help - Logic X

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am

Once the region has been analsyed, did you do:-

Edit -> Apply region tempo to project tempo

Edit: Ok, just saw you got it working. If you just did the apply, Logic will attempt (there's a checkbox for it) to automatically align the downbeat.

I just free timed a drum performance, hit analyse in the smart tempo editor, and hit apply to project, and Logic's click was now in time with my free performance.

How successful these tools are obviously depends on the performances you are working on. When it "just works" it's a bit like magic, but sometimes it can be a bit of a pain, and it's good to have an overview of the various tempo tools and workflows in Logic to cope with any situation...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio