You are here

Logic Pro X: Error Initializing CoreMIDI

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Pro X: Error Initializing CoreMIDI

Postby Failed Muso » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Evening all,

I decided to take the plunge and buy Logic Pro X a couple of months ago and I’ve been getting along swimmingly with it until the other day when out of the blue, it started giving me the following message every time I start the app:

“Error Initializing CoreMIDI“

I checked all my connected MIDI devices, interfaces and drivers, which are either class compliant or bang up to date but to no avail.

A search online shows that this is a seemingly common problem and the most widely accepted workaround is to open the macOS MIDI Studio before opening Logic. This initialises the CoreMIDI service and therefore Logic then sees it and runs perfectly. Many suggest that Logic itself is the issue because it doesn’t wait long enough for the service to start. I find this odd because it worked perfectly for a couple of months. And now, despite me not changing anything, it has decided to do this.

Before I submit myself to Apple Support hell, does anyone else here know of a solution or what might be causing this? I’ve tried uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing preferences, deleting config files, removing all MIDI devices, updating drivers and just about everything else.

Thanks in advance!
Failed Muso
Poster
Music Technologist, Writer, Instructional Designer, Fairlights.

Re: Logic Pro X: Error Initializing CoreMIDI

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Hey Rob,

I don't give you much hope with Apple support on these kinds of issues, but...

The only time I ever get this is where the MIDI services have crashed, usually because a program or driver has misbehaved, but it's very rare and a reboot fixes it for me.

What OS are you running?

To troubleshoot:
- Try disconnecting any MIDI hardware, and rebooting and seeing if that improves the behaviour.
- Try moving temporarily the MIDI drivers and rebooting, and/or uninstalling any drivers than include a MIDI component
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Failed Muso » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:55 pm

desmond wrote:Hey Rob,

I don't give you much hope with Apple support on these kinds of issues, but...

The only time I ever get this is where the MIDI services have crashed, usually because a program or driver has misbehaved, but it's very rare and a reboot fixes it for me.

What OS are you running?

To troubleshoot:
- Try disconnecting any MIDI hardware, and rebooting and seeing if that improves the behaviour.
- Try moving temporarily the MIDI drivers and rebooting, and/or uninstalling any drivers than include a MIDI component

I'm running 10.15.4 and all my drivers are confirmed as Catalina compatible. I have a Yamaha UX256, E-MU XMIDI 2x2 and a Focusrite Scarlett 214 as my main MIDI ports. I also have a few USB MIDI devices connected. I'm running Logic 10.4.8.

I've tried pretty much everything, including what you've suggested but it still gives me the error message. It's really odd because it only started doing it two days ago and it was perfectly fine before that and nothing has been changed, updated, installed or removed.

All very odd indeed... :think:
Failed Muso
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 am

Did you try the suggested workaround in your first post? Did that work for your case?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Failed Muso » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:15 pm

desmond wrote:Did you try the suggested workaround in your first post? Did that work for your case?

Yes, opening MIDI Studio and leaving it running in the background solves the issue. Not ideal, but it does work.
Failed Muso
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Failed Muso wrote:Yes, opening MIDI Studio and leaving it running in the background solves the issue. Not ideal, but it does work.

This might be something that gets fixed in the next version, hopefully...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:28 am

I get this all the time. I don't think that I have any specific drivers as, with the exception of my audio interface, all my midi devices are class compliant and should not cause a problem.

I'll try the thing about opening midi studio, but I thought that I did that and it didn't make a difference. But I'll give it another go..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Failed Muso » Fri May 01, 2020 10:56 am

Well, having exhausted all possible solutions that I found online, I reluctantly called Apple Support who were anything but supportive and whose initial suggestion was that I created a new user account, re-installed Logic and then add every element of my studio back in, one at a time to try and isolate the cause :roll: :lolno:

The only workaround that seems to do the trick with minimal fuss is to open the MIDI Studio utility prior to opening Logic. So I have added that utility to my Login items to run in the background every time I boot my Mac. That way, it'll always be ready.

I'll review the situation once Logic 10.5 drops.

Thanks for all the input thus far :thumbup:
Failed Muso
Poster

Postby desmond » Fri May 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Failed Muso wrote:Well, having exhausted all possible solutions that I found online, I reluctantly called Apple Support who were anything but supportive and whose initial suggestion was that I created a new user account, re-installed Logic and then add every element of my studio back in, one at a time to try and isolate the cause :roll: :lolno:

desmond wrote:I don't give you much hope with Apple support on these kinds of issues, but...

The thing is, first line Apple Support are not expert Logic users, it's a call centre with scripts and the usual stuff. They are usually friendly and helpful, but there's only so much they can do. Forums, where experts and pro users have invested their lives into Logic and are using it very deeply every day are generally a far better bet and trying to resolve anything more than very basic issues.

Failed Muso wrote:The only workaround that seems to do the trick with minimal fuss is to open the MIDI Studio utility prior to opening Logic. So I have added that utility to my Login items to run in the background every time I boot my Mac. That way, it'll always be ready.

Yes, it's a bit annoying, but not too problematic, and at least it's a reliable workaround... Thanks for the update.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby PaulWhiteSOS » Fri May 01, 2020 12:40 pm

I don't know if this will work for you but if something upsets Core MIDI, the simplest solution I've found seems to be to power down the MIDI interface and unplug it from the computer, then plugin back in again. I did have lots of MIDI dropout problems when using my old eMagic Unitor 8 but performance has been solid since switching to an ESI interface. I'm currently running Mojave on a dual processor, 12-core 2012 Mac Pro. I hope this helps.
PaulWhiteSOS

Postby Failed Muso » Mon May 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Apologies for the delayed reply but I finally figured out what the issue was!

It turns out that it was the KORG USB MIDI driver that was causing the issue. I spent some time digging through various Apple, Logic and MIDI support pages and it seems like this is a common thing with the KORG drivers, on both Mac & Windows.

Luckily, the two KORG USB devices I have are a couple of old Nano devices and I recall that shortly before this issue started, I had reconnected them to my Mac for some obscure reason. I also recall that when I was updating my Korg Legacy Collection plug ins, I may have also updated the KORG USB MIDI driver at the same time, as a matter of housekeeping, and that appears to have been the start of my troubles.

Anyway, hopefully this experience will help others who encounter the same problem and simply uninstalling the KORG drivers completely resolved my issue.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It was very much appreciated.
Failed Muso
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm

And thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad you're up and running again.

:thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra