You are here

Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 am

Dan LB wrote:Loving the new Quick Sampler. It's an absolute banger! :clap:

More than anything else in this update, this plugin is the one thing I really wanted.

I *nearly* bought Serato Sample a few weeks back, but while it's cool, it didn't exactly do what I wanted. Having looked at *all* other sampler plugins out there, and not found a solution (other than using Simpler in Live), I was nearly at the point where I was considering making my own...

I'm glad autosampler is now in Logic too, and they've finally adding a lot of the more auto functions from Keymap into the new Sampler, which is helpful. Not a complete replacement for Keymap, but certainly much better than what there was before.

I'm a little bummed that the Step Editor is gone, being replaced by the Step Sequencer - while the EDM folks will rejoice, I'm not convinced at how good a replacement it is for programming more natural drums, which I've done in the Step Editor/Hyper Editor since the early 90s. The loss of controller editing with the Step Editor is no big loss imo as there's plenty of other ways to do this in Logic.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Agharta » Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 am

Wow, this looks like the most interesting update I have seen for a DAW for ages/ever and it's free.
Do Apple charge for updates to any of their paid for software these days?
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 am

desmond wrote:
Dan LB wrote:Loving the new Quick Sampler. It's an absolute banger! :clap:

More than anything else in this update, this plugin is the one thing I really wanted.

I have a mic plugged into my AI just to record into it and I've already made some amazing sounding 'synths' with it. All based on samples of my own voice. Highly addictive!!
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 am

Agharta wrote:Do Apple charge for updates to any of their paid for software these days?

Not that I know of :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 am

desmond wrote:I was nearly at the point where I was considering making my own...

Max/MSP?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 am

Dan LB wrote:Max/MSP?

C/C++, Obj-C
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 am

I'm afraid to ask but here goes - is the MIDI bottle neck from the Environment into the Arrange Page sorted out - as in - do Arrange Page MIDI tracks recognise MIDI Interface, Ports and Devices?

Really disappointed that it won't run in High Sierra.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 am

desmond wrote:

C/C++, Obj-C

f***! Ok then....... :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 1:19 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:I'm afraid to ask but here goes - is the MIDI bottle neck from the Environment into the Arrange Page sorted out - as in - do Arrange Page MIDI tracks recognise MIDI Interface, Ports and Devices?

Really disappointed that it won't run in High Sierra.

No change in that regard.
I was expecting 10.5 to require Mojave...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Wed May 13, 2020 1:20 am

Dan LB wrote:
desmond wrote:

C/C++, Obj-C

f***! Ok then....... :lol:

Haha. Hardcore! Desmond's no script kiddy
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 am

As an ex-Logic user, just popping in to say that it looks like a superb upgrade and I hope you all enjoy it greatly. Logic is the one Apple product I genuinely miss these days :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby redlester » Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 am

Looking at the list of changes I think I need another lockdown period just to get my head round it all, I wish they'd released this two months ago! ;)

Seriously though, have not downloaded yet but reading the blurb this sounds like a direct attack on Ableton Live. I still use both Live and Logic and will be interested to see how this changes how I feel.

Two things I still want from Logic - both of which I've put feature requests in for - still ignored though? The option to have white and black (and shades of grey) available in the colour palette for tracks, etc., and an option to have the customising of I/O Bus names saveable on a per-project basis instead of being global. (I understand ProTools can do the latter?)
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 am

jellyjim wrote:Haha. Hardcore! Desmond's no script kiddy

Not really hardcore, I'm not much of an app developer at this time, in terms of experience or finished projects. In this case I would have been using the Juce framework which abstracts a lot of the deeper complexities and has a bunch of audio-related toolkit stuff to use, but it still would have been a lot of work.

Some years back I started a plugin project as I was waiting forever for a (seemingly obvious) plugin I wanted, and it was a good excuse to learn some more modern app/plugin development stuff and Xcode. Of course a little way in, a product was released that was exactly what I was doing so I abandoned that.

Then I was working on another cool app I wanted (again, waiting *years* for this obvious thing that seemingly would never happen) and making quite a bit of progress and then Apple sherlocked me in a few important ways taking a lot of the market away from my product, so I shelved that app (one obvious main feature from it I also expected to turn up but hasn't yet, but i suspect if I pick up and start working on this again, it will show up making the whole thing pointless, so I haven't been too motivated to spend more time and effort on it - despite still wanting the functionality.)

Development is fun! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am

Agharta wrote:Wow, this looks like the most interesting update I have seen for a DAW for ages/ever and it's free.

You should keep an eye on PreSonus Studio One Professional then. ;-)

Do Apple charge for updates to any of their paid for software these days?

They used to. I recall paying for some of them. Recently, though, they have adopted a similar policy to Studio One, where new versions are chargeable (eg. v3 to v4) and all interim 'point' releases are free updates.

But this latest 10.5 Logic Pro X update looks a corker, admittedly. I see plenty of Studio One functionality being adopted and of course Live Loops is Apple's spin on Ableton Live functionality. But this is the name of the game for all DAWs; one innovates in one area, and another DAW brings something new to the party, and each DAW plays catch-up.

With the current 90-day free trial offer from Apple, there will be lots of take-up.

I run High Sierra and usually keep my install of Logic Pro X up to date, but I'm not intending installing Catalina yet, so will have to forego this 10.5 update for the time being.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 am

redlester wrote:Seriously though, have not downloaded yet but reading the blurb this sounds like a direct attack on Ableton Live. I still use both Live and Logic and will be interested to see how this changes how I feel.

Well, "attack" is a strong word. The looping workflow is simply a very commonly done thing these days, particularly in more modern genres, and Logic was very lacking in this area.

The same goes for the Quick Sampler - Logic was very poor at taking a simple sample and quickly and easily letting you play and manipulate it. Ableton's "Simpler" was great in this regard.

The Drum Machine Designer in earlier versions was an ugly hack to overcome the old Ultrabeat plugin but it was underdeveloped and lacking - the overhaul and the new system is much better, and gives Logic a better tool to quickly throw in drum samples and make kits - again, an area where Logic was lacking.

So while some of these new features are definitely taking inspiration from Live, and other things, I see them more as filling weaknesses in Logic - if that makes it more attractive to people coming from Live, or makes people no longer need two different DAWs for this purpose, then so much the better. I always said Live was a great complement to Logic because it does well the things that Logic does poorly. This balance might have shifted a bit now. If I can do everything in my main app of choice, the better for me...
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext