You are here

Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Logic Pro X 10.5 is out!

Postby redlester » Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 am

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:Seriously though, have not downloaded yet but reading the blurb this sounds like a direct attack on Ableton Live. I still use both Live and Logic and will be interested to see how this changes how I feel.

Well, "attack" is a strong word. The looping workflow is simply a very commonly done thing these days, particularly in more modern genres, and Logic was very lacking in this area.

The same goes for the Quick Sampler - Logic was very poor at taking a simple sample and quickly and easily letting you play and manipulate it. Ableton's "Simpler" was great in this regard.

The Drum Machine Designer in earlier versions was an ugly hack to overcome the old Ultrabeat plugin but it was underdeveloped and lacking - the overhaul and the new system is much better, and gives Logic a better tool to quickly throw in drum samples and make kits - again, an area where Logic was lacking.

So while some of these new features are definitely taking inspiration from Live, and other things, I see them more as filling weaknesses in Logic - if that makes it more attractive to people coming from Live, or makes people no longer need two different DAWs for this purpose, then so much the better. I always said Live was a great complement to Logic because it does well the things that Logic does poorly. This balance might have shifted a bit now. If I can do everything in my main app of choice, the better for me...

Yes indeed. What I meant was an attempt to directly appeal to those Live users who have wavered over Logic by addressing some specific issues, especially with the Simpler/Sampler stuff. "Attack" is just quicker to type.
redlester
Regular

Postby miN2 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:51 am

What a superb upate. That autosampler is almost worth the price of admission alone! :thumbup:
miN2
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 13, 2020 10:54 am

Agharta wrote:Wow, this looks like the most interesting update I have seen for a DAW for ages/ever and it's free.
Do Apple charge for updates to any of their paid for software these days?

When Apple went from LP9 to LPX they didn't charge an upgrade price, they charged the full price for everyone. Since that full price was roughly the same as they charged for upgrades previously it was difficult to argue with. I rather expect them to do much the same when they eventually move to v11. However since LPX came out in 2013 Apple are not showing much sign of being in a hurry to make that move. I guess they must just like calling it X.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Forum Admin » Wed May 13, 2020 11:00 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I guess they must just like calling it X.

11 is a prime number and thus more symbolically significant. Problem with OS 11 is it might be interpreted as (mk)II instead of eleven if the font they use doesn't make it clear.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Well I managed to install a new (patched) Mojave system as a test, and the first results were encouraging, so I'll try to see if I can upgrade my machine properly and see what the consequences are.

It was nice to be able to give LPX 10.5 a test run though and have a look at a few features. I'm looking forward to playing with Quick Sampler in particular and adding it into my controller setup...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm

desmond wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:I'm afraid to ask but here goes - is the MIDI bottle neck from the Environment into the Arrange Page sorted out - as in - do Arrange Page MIDI tracks recognise MIDI Interface, Ports and Devices?

Really disappointed that it won't run in High Sierra.

No change in that regard.
I was expecting 10.5 to require Mojave...

Disappointing on the MIDI front. Given the emphasis on MIDI otherwise in this release, I'm really surprised. Surely things are "closing in" on that limit given the breath and depth of MIDI devices out there to engage "Session View" approaches to composing / performing. I can't see how all this hangs together in any kind of "Ableton" way with that bottle neck.

And - a pity they are not supporting Ableton Push or Push 2 - though Novation must be delighted !!

Overall - an amazing "package" - under the hood - if only they sort that friggin MIDI bottle neck out and allow those of us with serious hardware rigs to "join the party"!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Apple are not fixing that bottle neck because nobody - especially reviewers and including all SOS reviewers and LPX journalists - are not highlighting the need for it to change. It needs to be flagged - by people of influence!!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:Overall - an amazing "package" - under the hood - if only they sort that friggin MIDI bottle neck out and allow those of us with serious hardware rigs to "join the party"!

Kevin

Excuse my ignorance but can you expand on precisely what can't be done at the moment, and is this something that CAN be done in Ableton? I have a few hardware synths and have had no problems using them with the External Instrument plugin on each track in either Ableton or Logic. I assume you're talking about something a little different.

I've only got a handful of hardware but the GAS keeps it slowly growing (awaiting delivery of an Arturia Minibrute 2S as we speak) so am keen to learn any methods of hardware/DAW interface creativity.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 3:27 pm

It's a long time limitation of Logic, which has been discussed here at length - I can dig out the various threads if you like, but it likely won't affect you as you're not in the use case (as most people aren't), which is likely why it's not as high a priority as Kevin and some others would like it to be... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:And - a pity they are not supporting Ableton Push or Push 2 - though Novation must be delighted !!

They may well add further support for other devices now the big release is out in future smaller updates.

Kevin Nolan wrote:Overall - an amazing "package" - under the hood - if only they sort that friggin MIDI bottle neck out and allow those of us with serious hardware rigs to "join the party"!

You *can* join the party, you just have to behave yourself... :lol:

Kevin Nolan wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - Apple are not fixing that bottle neck because nobody - especially reviewers and including all SOS reviewers and LPX journalists - are not highlighting the need for it to change. It needs to be flagged - by people of influence!!

If not enough people are highlighting the need to fix it, it's probably a sign the need is not as great as you'd like it to be! ;)

Anyway, we've been here before. I agree with you, I'd like it to be addressed, but it hasn't been yet. Doesn't mean it *never* will...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 13, 2020 4:18 pm

Quick sampler is way cool. 30 minutes from start and I've a couple of quite usable concertina instruments (provided you don't push them too far from C3 or whatever the note was you sampled). Thing is, I've never done much in the way of sampling before. A simpler tool like this can get me into it and give me usable stuff along the way. Way cool.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Quick sampler is way cool.

Yes, the whole point of this is to quickly throw some audio in you can trigger, loop, play and get something interesting, without all that tedious mucking around with zone mapping. It's a tool I've been actively looking for (and haven't yet found) to use in Logic for a while, so I'm super keen on this.

Mojave seems doable here, at least on a clean test system (not very exhaustively tested), so it's looking likely I won't quite be left behind yet... :wave: :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed May 13, 2020 4:40 pm

desmond wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:And - a pity they are not supporting Ableton Push or Push 2 - though Novation must be delighted !!

They may well add further support for other devices now the big release is out in future smaller updates.

You *can* join the party, you just have to behave yourself... :lol:

Kevin Nolan wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - Apple are not fixing that bottle neck because nobody - especially reviewers and including all SOS reviewers and LPX journalists - are not highlighting the need for it to change. It needs to be flagged - by people of influence!!

If not enough people are highlighting the need to fix it, it's probably a sign the need is not as great as you'd like it to be! ;)

Anyway, we've been here before. I agree with you, I'd like it to be addressed, but it hasn't been yet. Doesn't mean it *never* will...

Desmond - these responses said with good will to you - any frustration is toward Apple :-)

Just because not many are calling for it doesn't mean it's not UTTERLY RIDICULOUS that they haven't fixed it.

Aren't the embarrassed that the Arrange Page external MIDI realtime record capabilities are worse than a 1989 Atari running Cubase?

And - you saying "we've been before" sounds like this is some old issue not worth flagging. It needs to be flagged - time and time again - until they fix it!! There is no "we've been there before". We're not there yet!!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:Desmond - these responses said with good will to you - any frustration is toward Apple :-)

Yep, I know - all good! :thumbup:

Kevin Nolan wrote:And - you saying "we've been before" sounds like this is some old issue not worth flagging.

No, it just means we've discussed it before, and any further discussion between us on that issue is not to change anything...

I understand how important it is for people with your needs regarding recording roomfuls of MIDI hardware at once...

Who knows, maybe one day... :tongue:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Wease » Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 pm

I’ve only had a day with the new Logic, and am report writing for school, so have exposed myself slowly!

Love Quick Sample....a simpler replacement well executed and am relieved to see a seemingly decent “big sampler” upgrade

The loop function also looks a bit like a live killer...especially with its tracks view “joint working”...more intuitive than Live for loop/tape (traditional)style recording mixes...which I like!

I’m the other user who wants logic’s midi implementation burned at the stake....I am trying to have up to 10 midi instruments controlling logic all at once to be fair...and will stick with Ableton live for this cause it’s so much easier...that’s the way it is I suppose....

About time for a decent drum style sequencer. .and the drum designer with sample use (quick sample is really great actually)...analogue simulation etc etc is what it always dreamt it would be...

Realfx is meh....oh well

Best little upgrade is the way you can take old audio/midi/loops etc and drag to the left, bringing up various options to play the sample...quick sample, alchemy and the drum designer...which basically turns into a Rex player/file creator....very very cool actually and great for my performing students!.....shall forgive the midi....but never forget!

It was quick to install and download and has been very happy opening up old projects

Nice

Wease
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Wed May 13, 2020 11:21 pm

Can anyone with Omnisphere confirm if it appears in the track view automation lane when this is switched on? I've read a couple of users elsewhere say it does not, and indeed on my system it's not there.

Am sure plenty of such things will come out of the woodwork and 10.5.1 will be with us before the football is back on!
redlester
Regular

PreviousNext